What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Al Fresco Cooling Of Breads, Pies & Pastries

Started by , Sep 08 2004 09:36 AM
3 Replies
After dropping the kids of at school today (first day back ) I stopped by my local Co-Op Store to get a few bits. They have a small bakery and I noticed one of the bakers had wedged a trolley containing breads, pies, and pastries in the open fire exit door. I presume he had done it to cool the stuff down.

Is there a problem with this? What if any are the food safety risks? To the letter of current food safety thinking and law there is, but bakers have probably been doing this for thousands of years. Whether there is risk or not, it isn't fair especially when for example a food packaging printers cannot have doors open on a burning hot day.

What do you think?

Regards,
Simon
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Frozen meals - cooling requirements Water Concentration recommended for a cooling bath using Sodium hypochlorite 12.5% For temperature cooling does the time limit of 2-hour start when the temperature is at 135 °F for the sauce? Sauce cooling Product cooling (RTE) in an ingredient storage area
[Ad]
Funny you should mention the co-op, I went to our local shop the other day & I wondered about their bread 'stand'. All of their freshly baked bread was on open shelves on a pick & mix basis with no packaging.

I can just imagine the lunchtime rush of school kids having a field day with this not to mention our little flying friends.

Again this makes a bit of a mockery of the hoops we jump through to ensure secondary packaging is produced in an hygienic manner..

Irrespective of any hygiene risk, your local store is obviously breaching law by obstructing fire exits

Irrespective of any hygiene risk, your local store is obviously breaching law by obstructing fire exits

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It wouldn't surprise me if their buns were giving off noxious fumes and depleting the ozone layer as well.

Regards,
Simon
Hi,

I will take the line of statement made by Richard. But nobody talked about the safety issue a thousand years ago, why now! I know you are supposed to have these stuff placed in the glass display counter away from flies and probably insist that it must be kept warm......

Perhaps, a fan to cool down the bread would do the job well but would be a good idea though if each is packed in a plastic bag to keep them away from flies and other hazards

Charles CHew

Similar Discussion Topics
Frozen meals - cooling requirements Water Concentration recommended for a cooling bath using Sodium hypochlorite 12.5% For temperature cooling does the time limit of 2-hour start when the temperature is at 135 °F for the sauce? Sauce cooling Product cooling (RTE) in an ingredient storage area Allergen segregation during cooling ? Product not reaching the cooling temperature as per the FDA guidance Cooling Product in Small bakery Risks of reheating Naan breads before depositing sauce Microbiological testing for frozen breads, pasta, vegetables and ready meals