What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Iron for fortification - in-process magnet issues

Started by , Jun 11 2008 11:01 PM
3 Replies
Fortifying material and conveying it to different processes is presenting a challenge with in process magnets catching iron. The fortification itself is affected as you can no longer use your batching formula as calculated nutritionals are off.. removign magnets is not really an option right now without equipement modification plus equipment safety and HACCP plan is affected - option to overload magnet is being considered.. does anyone have any other experience/suggestion to share??
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Misprint on Nutrition Fact Table listed Iron as 2g instead of 2mg The Iron Egg- kitchen utensil to add iron to food or liquid FDA Rounding rules for Iron Is Cast Iron ok for food contact? Square Tubing VS Angle Iron; Cleaning Ability, and Pre-Op Inspection
[Ad]

Fortifying material and conveying it to different processes is presenting a challenge with in process magnets catching iron. The fortification itself is affected as you can no longer use your batching formula as calculated nutritionals are off.. removign magnets is not really an option right now without equipement modification plus equipment safety and HACCP plan is affected - option to overload magnet is being considered.. does anyone have any other experience/suggestion to share??

Can anyody help our new member with this query?
I haven't got an experience of deliberate fortification with iron but in some processes in places I've worked, they had magnets which were left over from primitive attempts to control metal contamination. We had metal detectors by that point though. We found that they did more harm than good and if there was any iron in the system (very rarely), it would collect on the magnet and then fall off in one lump!

I vaguely remember there is a simple A level food chemistry experiment to calculate iron in food. Looks like it might be in this book:

http://books.google....result#PPA37,M1

I'm not sure how accurate it would be.

Is there really nothing that can be used to replace the magnets in your system? I assume you're talking about magnetic interlocks? Is there a way that they could be moved outside of the production line, so your guard overlaps and interlocks away from the conveyor / shute? I'm sure I've also seen physical interlocks as well as magnetic.
So I´m joining this discussion kind of late, but for what it´s worth...
We do iron fortification by law and we have at least one magnet after the fortification process. As far as I know, we haven´t had any problems with this.
What we use for fortification is a vitamin mix that includes iron as iron fumarate, because it is easier for your body to absorb it.
This might sound not so brilliant, but maybe mixing it with another ingredient would help??

Similar Discussion Topics
Misprint on Nutrition Fact Table listed Iron as 2g instead of 2mg The Iron Egg- kitchen utensil to add iron to food or liquid FDA Rounding rules for Iron Is Cast Iron ok for food contact? Square Tubing VS Angle Iron; Cleaning Ability, and Pre-Op Inspection Expert needed: validation of claim iron and B12, what to expect? Is iron filings in tea black tea a physical or chemical hazard? Iron dust a hazard?