What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Safe Cooking of Poultry

Started by , Sep 07 2008 07:01 AM
1 Reply
Dear All,

I came across this, IMO, fascinating document (2006) while searching for data on a related thread ( http://www.ifsqn.com...showtopic=10789 ). It very well illustrates the complexities in safely satisfying the topic’s objective for a typical consumer and provides an (I guess) quite up-to-date US opinion from a very well-respected source. The conclusions are probably not suitable from a processor’s HACCP viewpoint and I don’t know how other countries view these aspects for their consumers. My guess is that a range of different opinions exist. Any further input is welcome.

Safe_Cooking_of_Poultry.pdf   121.06KB   47 downloads

Rgds / Charles.C
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Food Safe Knives Is there a minimum PPM of nitrites necessary to deem a product food safe when curing meats? School Safe - What does this mean? Trying to find a food safe knife for opening bags Equipment with No Safe For Food Contact Document
[Ad]
Dear All,

After previous post, I did a bit more searching, particularly as a result of having difficulty in comprehending this statement in uploaded document -

The tables also note that the required lethality is achieved instantaneously for temperatures with a hold time of less than 10 s.

This is, I think, the critical practical justification for the single parameter (temperature) recommendation when cooking the relevant products. Unfortunately, I couldn’t see any data in upload to show the derivation of this result ( probably in another reference for the D/z raw data.). I’m still looking .

However, I did find another more current review (July 2008) on the same issue which sort of updates the previous upload (and also suggests to me that the subject is still 'hot") . This one is from GMA (Grocery Manufacturers Association) and seems to focus on microwave ovens (most popular / most sensitive / most complaints ???). Contains substantial technical discussion / consumer recommendations with some detailed examples of validation runs (including one “failure”). Was interested to note that L.monocytogenes now being used as a worst case scenario choice.

guidelines_for_validation_of_NRTE_product_cooking_instructions.pdf   581.65KB   56 downloads

Rgds / Charles.C

Similar Discussion Topics
Food Safe Knives Is there a minimum PPM of nitrites necessary to deem a product food safe when curing meats? School Safe - What does this mean? Trying to find a food safe knife for opening bags Equipment with No Safe For Food Contact Document Safe method to thaw juices to go into batches Procedures for the safe, legal disposal or return of obsolete or out-of-date chemicals and empty chemical containerstainers Sous Vide Chicken Breast- Safe at less than 165°F? Food grade or food safe cloth tape... any such thing? Camellia oil formally considered food safe in the US?