• Quick Navigation
Photo

Food grade or food safe cloth tape... any such thing?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

adeletheqa

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 19 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 09 December 2022 - 05:23 AM

Hey guys, (the all inclusive form of "guys")

Does anyone know of such a product that is adhesive tape but made of like a fabric/cloth that is also food safe? We make packaging here and are wanting to try adding some long strips of tape on the nip roller of our machine. I could go into long detail about why we need it but its just too long.... It's not to fix the machinery or anything, it's to try and counteract a problem and a supplier of ours has shown that they've put strips of tape on the nip roller diagonally and it helps to fix a problem we are having. They've suggested we do the same but this supplier is overseas and the rules might be different there, there's no way we could put that same cloth tape on our nip roller and it be seen as NOT a potential contaminant. Too many threads and whatnot that can come loose. I tried to google different variations of food safe/food grade cloth tape/ fabric tape, but i'm not having much luck.

I thought maybe one of you foodies might know of something.

I think the reason regular flat tape doesn't work is because it needs to have some sort of ridges in the tape, but also the ridges can't be sharp in any way so they need to be soft....like fabric.

Any ideas??? 

Thank you.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 09 December 2022 - 01:20 PM

Have you given thought to teflon tape?

https://www.mpi-solu...fe-teflon-tape/

https://www.teflon.c...food-processing

It comes in varying thickness (but is not cheap) so you may find one that suits you

Been used in food processing equipment for ages 

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 683 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 December 2022 - 03:17 PM

We are a food packaging manufacturer also, paperboard. Our equipment have nip rollers with a chevron pattern cut into the surface of the rubber. Have you contacted the equipment manufacturer to see if they offer optional rollers? If they don't, there are many roller manufacturers that can duplicate the roller and offer many surface treatments with many surface types. The surface can also be "siped" to create a softer, more "grippy" surface . That should solve the whole food safety issue too.

Miss Frankie

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 259 posts
  • 27 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 December 2022 - 08:10 PM

I found this metal detectable silicone tape.  Might want to look into it and see if it's food safe.

GRAINGER APPROVED Silicone Strip: Metal Detectable, 1/2 in x 36 in, 0.03125 in Thick, 60A, Silicone Adhesive Backed - 785G99|BULK-RS-S60MD-71 - Grainger

This place also has some food grade tape, you might find something you can try.

Item # MBK 3204SC, FDA Direct Food Contact / Polyethylene Film Tape On MBK Tape Solutions

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users