What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Measuring packaging colour

Started by , Apr 17 2009 03:26 PM
5 Replies
Hi There

Does anyone have experience of measuring the colour of plastic packaging specifically tanslucency. We are currently doing a visual only.

Any help appreciated. Thanks
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
How are You Measuring Your Food Safety Culture Plan? Measuring pH of cheese curds when making cheese Gluten Free Measuring Measuring a 3rd party sanitation performance Measuring the Effectiveness of Elements of the SQF system?
[Ad]

Hi There

Does anyone have experience of measuring the colour of plastic packaging specifically tanslucency. We are currently doing a visual only.

Any help appreciated. Thanks

Hi Rosie, What you need is a spectrophotometer. Do I sound clever? Well I'm not I just know how to use google pretty well. :-)

Here is a good explanation:
What is a spectrophotometer

No idea of the cost but here are a few possible suppliers of Spectrophotometers and related equipment.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Simon
IMEX. i use Chromameter to analysis Color.. the instrument will give you the result as value of your color .. that more objective then visually...
I test colours of printing on polymer packaging by naked eye.
Comparing them with colour guides and samples works satisfactory.
Measurement equipment proves to be rather difficult with polymer packaging material for paper it works fine.
Let a potential supplier show that the equipment is working according your requests.

Have a nice day, Okido
Thanks for the feedback. I have used a spectophotometer in the past for measuring colour of a liquid food sample where you prepared a standard, set up the machine to read this as 100% and then put the sample through and got an answer as say 99.4% or 100.7%. Spec was 98% - 102%. This was for coca-cola. Just wanted to know if anyone actually used colour measurement in practice for PP or PS packages to know how it worked.

Rosie.
Hi Rosie,

Like you and okido, I used to check those polymers by eye too. But if say an important customer of your's require data/numeric figures for the color and translucency of your plastic, you can check out Simon's link of spectrophotometers for translucent solids.

First on the list seems like what you need.
http://www.foodonlin...photometer-0002
http://www.hunterlab...anslucent3.html

Similar Discussion Topics
How are You Measuring Your Food Safety Culture Plan? Measuring pH of cheese curds when making cheese Gluten Free Measuring Measuring a 3rd party sanitation performance Measuring the Effectiveness of Elements of the SQF system? SQF Edition 9 - Measuring Food Safety Culture Method for measuring pinhole size in food packaging Measuring the pH of sorbic acid (powder form) Sampling points for measuring air changes per hour within a high risk area Validation of CCP - Measuring Product Water Activity