What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

How to peel the fruits and vegetables?

Started by , Jun 01 2009 09:06 PM
4 Replies
I need help how to peel fruits and vegetables? Ex: Orange, potato or tomato? Can you give me some application recommendation about peeling?
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Standard Microbial Count for Equipment /Utensils in Food Industry (MEAT PRODUCTION AND VEGETABLES) Mycotoxin and heavy metal limits in frozen fruits and vegetables as per EU regulations Food safety requirements for ready meals production with fresh vegetables and salad Are there any food safety standards or guidelines for Freeze Dried Fruits and Vegetables? Vacuum packaging of raw vegetables
[Ad]
Presume you are looking at mechanical means of peeling these.

Potato: Carborundum peeler - after high pressure jet/agitation washing potatoes are agitated in a rotating drum drum which is lined with a carborundum (rough) surface which removes the peel. Potatoes may need an antioxidant (eg citric or ascorbic acid and calcium chloride all 0.5%) in the final rinse water to stop browning. Final mechanical knife peeling may be required.

Tomatoes: lye peeler - agitation in hot NaOH solution then mechanical removal of skins.

Oranges: Not to sure about this - I believe this is done by Enzymatic and steam peeling.

In all cases microbiological quality of the especialy final wash water must be good. (Use of chlorine or Hydrogen Peroxide eg Ecolab 'Tsunami').

I need help how to peel fruits and vegetables? Ex: Orange, potato or tomato? Can you give me some application recommendation about peeling?

Please find as attachment for Orange peeling by enzymatic.

Attached Files

Immortal, have the answers provided you with some ideas on methods of peeling fruits and vegetables?
Hi DavidB,

Regarding peeled potatoes is it advisable to use sodium metabisulfite to stop browning? And what would be the minimum/maximum concentration and how is it measured?

Thanks.

Similar Discussion Topics
Standard Microbial Count for Equipment /Utensils in Food Industry (MEAT PRODUCTION AND VEGETABLES) Mycotoxin and heavy metal limits in frozen fruits and vegetables as per EU regulations Food safety requirements for ready meals production with fresh vegetables and salad Are there any food safety standards or guidelines for Freeze Dried Fruits and Vegetables? Vacuum packaging of raw vegetables Microbiological testing for frozen breads, pasta, vegetables and ready meals Is cool storage of fruits and vegetables before Pasteurization a CCP? Fresh Sushi - Separate HACCP Plan for vegetables used? Listeria mono in frozen vegetables Listeria Monitoring Frozen Fruit and Vegetables