What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

3.9.2 - Quantity Check / Mass Balance

Started by , Jun 04 2009 02:17 PM
4 Replies
Hi all,

I need a little help fulfilling this requirement. I've tested the traceability of a particular item, and now I need to perform a quantity check mass balance.
Here is the recepie.

Item 1: 80kgs
TEST ITEM: 20kgs
Item 3: 1kgs
Item 4: 9kgs

Total Input: 110kgs -> (PROCESSING) -> Total Output: 100kgs

So, is this sufficient to demonstrate a quantity check / mass balance? The loss of 10kgs is expected as part of the process, but it is very difficult to put a precise amount to the loss we would have on any particular product as it varies in relation to many factors. Thoughts please! Cheers
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
How can I check good sterilization? Can anyone check my HACCP plan for Sea Moss Gel? Environmental risk assessment and sample quantity RSPO Mass balance clarification Controlling check in and out of blades
[Ad]
BUMP for Danny.
1 Thank
I think a 9% loss is not great. It depends what that loss is. If that loss is floor waste then I would expect you to measure the floor waste and prove it's lost that way. If the waste is due to desication or drying then it is acceptable, however, I would expect you to be able to show some trial data to an auditor to prove that a 9% loss is normal in that process.

If you can do the above it's no issue.

Maybe if you explain the process it might be a bit easier?

There will always be a difference in mass balance. I'm not sure what percentage BRC auditors accept but if I had a difference of less than 2% I'd argue it till I was blue in the face. If I had a difference of less than 1%, I'd be most miffed if a BRC auditor raised a non con and I don't think any reasonable one would. Gut feel would be 9% is too high. Anyone know what limits BRC use?
Thanks GMO,

The product is spray dried. Do you think several examples of previous products and their relative losses would be sufficient to satisfy an auditor?
dear danny..

to make mass balance you have to consider your water content.. so i try to make it easier in simple sample :

1. INput : your material (item 1 - 4), moisture content ( you can count by 100 - Total solid content).
for example your mc is 15 % (total material = 110 kg, Water = 16.5 kg and dry matter = 110 - 16.5 = 93.5 kg)

2. Process :
during spry drying process, some water loss from your product (15 % water= 11 kg)

3. Output :
moisture content on your finish product (for example your MC FG 5% = 5.5 kg, and dry matter = 93.5 kg so your output = 5.5 + 93.5 = 99 kg).

Sorry if my explanation too simple but i hope with that sample can make clear the mass balance

Similar Discussion Topics
How can I check good sterilization? Can anyone check my HACCP plan for Sea Moss Gel? Environmental risk assessment and sample quantity RSPO Mass balance clarification Controlling check in and out of blades Glass and Hard plastic check Can Someone Check My HACCP Hazards? Frequency of External Calibration of Analytical Balance and Incubator Method for tracing organic oil used to fry products that meets mass balance requirements Is it necessary to check the calibration on your mixer and oven timers?