• 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 16 April 2024 - 09:34 AM

Hey all,
I hope you are well!

I'm sterilise dairy prodcut in an Autoclave. Is there a lab test that I should make after production to check if the product sterilised well and can be storage without refrigerator?
P.H around 6.5.

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 857 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 April 2024 - 12:39 PM

im not sure about your process,  however

https://www.rapidmic...verage-products

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Brothbro

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 364 posts
  • 115 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Aimlessly browsing the internet

Posted 16 April 2024 - 03:53 PM

The link that kingstrudler1 provided has some great information on the general process of verifying commercial sterility in UHT processing. For an autoclave, it sounds like you're a pretty small-batch operation. Nevertheless, the risk of illness in improperly sterilized product should not be downplayed. I'd really recommend reaching out to a process authority to help validate your cook process. There are a couple points to consider:

- Does your autoclave reach temperatures that can inactivate spores? (there are spore ampoules that can be used to check this)

- Is the time your process spends at sterilization temperatures appropriate for your product? This is dependent on your packaging shape and heat penetration of your product. Cold-point and heat penetration studies should be done to find out the specifics

- Are you familiar with the cold-points within your autoclave chamber?

Given the risks involved, it's important to consult experts who can get hands-on experience with your process. Many of your questions have answers that will be very specific to your unique process. After a lot of pre-assessment is complete, verifying commercial sterility usually comes down to incubation testing. This involves taking a sample of a certain number of packages per sterilization run, incubating them to allow any potential contamination to grow to detectable levels, then streak plating them to observe any growth.

Edited by Brothbro, 16 April 2024 - 03:55 PM.

Goaty

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 18 April 2024 - 03:53 PM

The link that kingstrudler1 provided has some great information on the general process of verifying commercial sterility in UHT processing. For an autoclave, it sounds like you're a pretty small-batch operation. Nevertheless, the risk of illness in improperly sterilized product should not be downplayed. I'd really recommend reaching out to a process authority to help validate your cook process. There are a couple points to consider:

- Does your autoclave reach temperatures that can inactivate spores? (there are spore ampoules that can be used to check this)
- Is the time your process spends at sterilization temperatures appropriate for your product? This is dependent on your packaging shape and heat penetration of your product. Cold-point and heat penetration studies should be done to find out the specifics
- Are you familiar with the cold-points within your autoclave chamber?

Given the risks involved, it's important to consult experts who can get hands-on experience with your process. Many of your questions have answers that will be very specific to your unique process. After a lot of pre-assessment is complete, verifying commercial sterility usually comes down to incubation testing. This involves taking a sample of a certain number of packages per sterilization run, incubating them to allow any potential contamination to grow to detectable levels, then streak plating them to observe any growth.

im not sure about your process, however

https://www.rapidmic...verage-products

Many thanks!! 😊

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users