What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Recent RASFF notifications - query on chorizo recall?

Started by , Aug 14 2009 10:22 AM
3 Replies
I do not know if this is the appropriate place for the post or the Microbiology forum, anyway...

I was taking a look at recent RASFF notifications (RASFF is the EU alert system for foodstuffs etc) and noticed an allert coming from the UK, concerning chorizo (spanish salami like product), in which they detected strains of Bacillus pumilus and Bacilus subtilis. The detection resulted in the recall of the product from the market.

The question is simple: why did the UK authorities check for Bacillus??? is it dictated in UK legislation? in the EU legislation (2073/2005, 1441/2007) it is not included though
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Recent reports of pathogenic traits in L. innocua and L. welshimeri Is anyone aware of any recent publications on the benefits of freeze drying? Do you have recent regulations or articles regarding Bisphenol S? Recent changes in ISO 22000 Recent FDA audit
[Ad]
Dear Snitzel,

Nice to hear from you.

I presume this is the incident (4th on 1st section) to which you are referring –

http://ec.europa.eu/...k28-2009_en.pdf

It appears from the value stated (and the introductory text explanation of terminology) that a regulation does exist although I hv no idea what/where it is. May be of national rather than EC origin as you suggest (which can supercede of course.)

I also noticed that some EC regulations for B.subtilis do exist but (as I guess you already know) didn’t immediately see anything for chorizo ( or related sausages). Eg another product is here –

http://eur-lex.europ...008:0010:EN:PDF
)

I did notice a few refs to studies of possible negative effects from the Bacillus subtilis and Bacillus pumilus /chorizo interaction but not so recent – eg

http://www.pubmedcen...gi?artid=520883
(full article)

I didn’t examine the EC number regs you quoted yet, rather hard work IMEX and I’m lazy.

Some more detailed searching maybe necessary, eg UK / FSA website.

Rgds / Charles.C
Dear Snithel,
in the alert notification 2009.0878 they made an reference to EU regulation 178/2002 (14 article).
Best regards, Ed
Dear Charles and edlasen thanks for the replies,
the legislation links/ references you posted do not refer to ready to eat products and as far as I know there is no EU legislation that refers to B. pumilus and subtilis for ready to eat (from humans) products.
Unfortunately I couldnt find any relevant UK legislation.
The strange thing is that regulation 202/2009 apparently accepts the use of the bacillus strain in animal feed, whereas there is an opinion from EFSA that mentions that it is a potential pathogen.
Its very confusing...

Similar Discussion Topics
Recent reports of pathogenic traits in L. innocua and L. welshimeri Is anyone aware of any recent publications on the benefits of freeze drying? Do you have recent regulations or articles regarding Bisphenol S? Recent changes in ISO 22000 Recent FDA audit Will ISO 22000 be affected in the recent major revision of ISO 9001? FSSC 22000 recent developments Help for CA For Pitted Floor From Recent BRC Recent Food Defense Failure Recent Spam Emails Sent through the Forums PM System