Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 18 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:04 PM

we had our first BRC audit last week.  Happy to say we earned a score of B.  We were given a minor for pitted floors that held water.  This is going to be a major cost for repair, that can not be completed within the time frame.  Any sugestions on how to answer the finding?  Thank you very much.

EmmE

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:34 AM

Hi Glendora,

In realation to the limited time frame, we too had to make a repair that involved some custom manufacturing an installation that would take us beyond the 28 day time frame.  After getting time and cost estimates, then placing the order for the parts needed, we conveyed this information to the auditor along with proof of payment for our custom purchase as well as a document which listed the lead times (fabrication and delivery).  We did all the standard reporting information for the NC and the auditor worked with us.  We were told that since we had provided some evidence towards correcting the NC, that this one item would be allowed to extend beyond the 28 day timeframe, but we would still have to provide evidence once it was fully complete.  I don't know if this standard practice, just our experience.  I would say once you have an approximate time frame inform the auditor of the situation.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:53 AM

Hello Glendora,

Well done on passing BRC audit at the first attempt, that's no mean feat. :clap:

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Thanked by 1 Member:

glendora

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 18 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:54 PM

Hi Glendora,

In realation to the limited time frame, we too had to make a repair that involved some custom manufacturing an installation that would take us beyond the 28 day time frame.  After getting time and cost estimates, then placing the order for the parts needed, we conveyed this information to the auditor along with proof of payment for our custom purchase as well as a document which listed the lead times (fabrication and delivery).  We did all the standard reporting information for the NC and the auditor worked with us.  We were told that since we had provided some evidence towards correcting the NC, that this one item would be allowed to extend beyond the 28 day timeframe, but we would still have to provide evidence once it was fully complete.  I don't know if this standard practice, just our experience.  I would say once you have an approximate time frame inform the auditor of the situation.

Thanks for your comments.  A lot of good ideas that we can use.

Ian R

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 121 posts
  • 40 thanks
Good

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:23 AM

Hi Glendora

If I were reviewing the response to the NC I would be asking:

a. Is there any quick temporary fix that could be put in place, and how long would it take? what is it?

b. Is there a longer term plan to permanently fix the problem and what evidence is there that it is going to be implemented?

The BRC accreditation process recognises that when the corrections are 'big' not everything can be put in place within 28 days.

What you then have to do is show that you have a plan to manage the problem until it can be resolved, and a plan to resolve it.

The plan must include timescales and evidence, (quotes, material specs, plans etc ) that show you are serious about correcting the problem.

The time scale must also be realistic, but not excessive.

If you say you will fix it but it will take 5 years, you can expect an unsympathetic response.

Also if the auditor returns next year and finds only the temp repair in place, or worse, nothing, you will  get your legs smacked, or the naughty chair, and a major NC.

rgds

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users