What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Steam Sterilization vs irradiation of herbs and spice

Started by , Sep 15 2010 12:12 PM
6 Replies
hi all

i need some authentic information with regards to steam sterilization vs irradiation.

• what are the dangers to humans
  • which is preferred by the industry
  • what are the potenial benefits
  • in other informtion that would be useful
thank you so much for your time.

Amien
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Water used for Steam Sterilization Validating and verifying Steam used to cook food Steam and Water Quality Testing How to deal with excessive steam from a dishwasher? Ammonia, steam and liquid nitrogen as hazards
[Ad]
BUMP for Amien.
thanks Simon

hi all

i need some authentic information with regards to steam sterilization vs irradiation.

• what are the dangers to humans
  • which is preferred by the industry
  • what are the potenial benefits
  • in other informtion that would be useful
thank you so much for your time.

Amien

Hi Amien,

Let me try to answer some of your questions.

1 what are the dangers to humans

Despite consumers' concern on residual radiation leftover after the treatment, I have not heard of people dying from eating irradiated herbs and spices.

2 which is preferred by the industry

Differs from companies to companies, really.

If quality is of utmost importance, then irradiation is a better choice. Destroys bacterial with minimum effects on nutritional and physical properties. But the results of the sterilized product will cost more than steam sterilization.

You can also check here for further discussions on the sterilization methods.

3 what are the potenial benefits

As mentioned, nutritional values, and coloring of the products are better preserved by irradiation rather than steam sterilization.

4 in other informtion that would be useful

Irradiation information are plentiful on the web. I believe you will have no problems searching via yahoo.

There are also lots of irradition information on this forum.

Thank you so much for the information. Much appreciated.
Warm regards.

Hi Amien,

Let me try to answer some of your questions.

1 what are the dangers to humans

Despite consumers' concern on residual radiation leftover after the treatment, I have not heard of people dying from eating irradiated herbs and spices.

2 which is preferred by the industry

Differs from companies to companies, really.

If quality is of utmost importance, then irradiation is a better choice. Destroys bacterial with minimum effects on nutritional and physical properties. But the results of the sterilized product will cost more than steam sterilization.

You can also check here for further discussions on the sterilization methods.

3 what are the potenial benefits

As mentioned, nutritional values, and coloring of the products are better preserved by irradiation rather than steam sterilization.

4 in other informtion that would be useful

Irradiation information are plentiful on the web. I believe you will have no problems searching via yahoo.

There are also lots of irradition information on this forum.

Dear Sachet,

Not my specific area but in addition to Hongyun's comments, I would hv guessed that country regulatory aspects might also be involved.

You might find this article of interest -

http://www.cidrap.um...0spices-jw.html

May also find this item of interest (rather old, probably approx 2000)

spices.png   423.5KB   17 downloads

Rgds / Charles.C
1 Like
Thanks.

Similar Discussion Topics
Water used for Steam Sterilization Validating and verifying Steam used to cook food Steam and Water Quality Testing How to deal with excessive steam from a dishwasher? Ammonia, steam and liquid nitrogen as hazards Choosing a steam pressure washer equipment Hazards in steam Portable steam cleaners Hazard Analysis Control Plan for CO2 Purification, Steam Production, Refrigeration using Glycol and Compressed Air Critical limit of aluminium pieces by x-ray inspection in frozen steam sweet potato?