Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 48 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 September 2023 - 12:49 AM

I have a client who has an onsite well that is used for the water operations within the facility. This facility does steam sterilization for food products. Recently they have tested for high levels of Aerobic Bacteria in their water and iron related bacteria. My question is if water is filter through sediment filters to remove suspended matter and carbon filter to remove heavy metals and iron, it is suitable for direct food contact steam without water treatment? Due to the fact that the water is sent to a boiler and turned into steam therefor killing all bacteria .

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,236 posts
  • 1294 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 28 September 2023 - 02:48 AM

Hi 3esa,

The process sounds like it should generate steam that is safe to use but you never know what is in well water. My view is that I would want an independent laboratory to confirm the water meets potable water standards prior to conversion to steam.

Kind regards,

Tony

Edited by Tony-C, 28 September 2023 - 02:48 AM.

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 857 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 September 2023 - 03:49 AM

You probably need to get with the boiler manufacture and share water analytical data.   They should be able to help direct you with the proper treatment of the feed water for producing culinary steam.    Feedwater quality is important to ensure the quality of steam produced and not destroying your boiler.     

boilers scare me.  they are not to be taken lightly.  this plant was leveled last year.       https://www.firehous...levels-building

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 639 posts
  • 182 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 September 2023 - 04:18 PM

I used to work for a steam sterilization company, and I honestly don't know the answer here.  If you could somehow get a sample of the water from a point after the boiler, you could test that to prove the boiler is sufficient for controlling what would otherwise be an unacceptable level of bacteria in the input water.  Beyond that, just research into which bacteria is present and show it is controlled with the temperature the water is used at might be an acceptable work around.

But that won't stop an auditor from having a fit over the water being used elsewhere in the plant, even for issues such as handwashing.  Are all water samples (handwash sinks, employee utensil sinks, etc.) showing the same bacteria?

3esa

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 48 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 September 2023 - 06:12 PM

I guess my question would be does input water for culinary steam need to be potable (in terms of aerobic bacteria) prior to conversion into steam or does it not matter as long as the steam conversion is killing the bacteria?

Hi 3esa,

The process sounds like it should generate steam that is safe to use but you never know what is in well water. My view is that I would want an independent laboratory to confirm the water meets potable water standards prior to conversion to steam.

Kind regards,

Tony

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,236 posts
  • 1294 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 29 September 2023 - 02:50 AM

I guess my question would be does input water for culinary steam need to be potable (in terms of aerobic bacteria) prior to conversion into steam or does it not matter as long as the steam conversion is killing the bacteria?

Hi 3esa,

I doubt that there would be a micro risk in steam, only extremely heat stable spores are a possibility. As per previous posts your water quality is important for plant hygiene including cleaning/sanitation and hand washing.

The main concern for steam generation would be the water source and if it is fact potable with respect to chemical aspects.

Good Practices for Steam include the following from BRCGS Guidance:

Where ice or steam is used in production or is in contact with food, it must be produced from potable water or pose no risk of contamination according to applicable legislation, and must be included within the sampling plan.

Steam generated from potable water free from additives, for instance, is not likely to present a risk.

Kind regards,

Tony

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 857 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 September 2023 - 04:15 PM

Your question and information provided is too vague to receive a suitable answer.   

In general:

1.  your feed water should be potable

2.  you should be generating steam following FDA 173.310, 3A  609-01, etc

3.  You should be testing the feed water and output to ensure it is not a source of contamination.  

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,515 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 September 2023 - 05:17 PM

From CFIA

https://inspection.c...8/1528202906555

Culinary steam Boiler and feed water

Since culinary steam may come into direct contact with a food, it is important that the water used to manufacture the steam is sourced, treated and handled in a way to minimize contamination. This includes using:

FDA

https://www.accessda....cfm?fr=173.310

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users