• IFSQN Associate
  • 34 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:21 AM

hello again everyone!
searched the forum topics and noted that there were alot of methods that usually use steam to eliminate micro-organisms, just a few questions though

1. is there an existing method to verify steam quality?
2. If there is, how do you take a sample for verification?
3. How do you ensure that the emitted steam is not contaminated as well?
4. Any standards on steam quality?
5. If it is used to directly cook food, are there any thermophiles (bacteria that can survive extreme heat) that can survive?

Your feedbacks would be greatly appreciated! Cheers!

Dr Ajay Shah

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 318 posts
  • 106 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:55 AM

:smarty:Hi Althene,

I found the following information and see if this assists your quest on steam:

http://www.customwar... and Food Grade

http://www.quipegypt... Cartridges.pdf

Most thermophiles grow at 50°C to 80°C but there are extremes that grow from 80° to 105°C and that should not affect your needs. Most pathogens that affect will not survive in steam.

The extereme thrmophiles that live in hot springs etc will not be found living at the tempertutes of blue steam that you may use for sterlisation or wet steam used for pasteurisation.

I hope the above helps you.

:smarty:

Dr Ajay Shah.,
BSc (Hons), MSc, PhD, PGCE(FE)
Managing Director & Principal Consultant
AAS Food Technology Pty Ltd
www.aasfood.com

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:21 PM

Dear althene,

A search into the literature on "autoclaves" might be rewarding. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Anish

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 158 posts
  • 74 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:03 PM

Hi,

Regarding the standard, pls refer 3A standard 609-03 - Accepted practices - Method of producing culinary Steam.
Also check with your boiler provider - he may give you some valuabale literatures.

Take your pipe line connection map - from boiler - till it reaches the destination - there should not be any water clogging, dripping...back sucking (forgotten the correct terminology - let me open my old files and send you the clear details after tomorrow - am on holiday )..

Rgds,
anish

hello again everyone!
searched the forum topics and noted that there were alot of methods that usually use steam to eliminate micro-organisms, just a few questions though

5. If it is used to directly cook food, are there any thermophiles (bacteria that can survive extreme heat) that can survive?

Your feedbacks would be greatly appreciated! Cheers!

bacon

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 173 posts
  • 77 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:NOAA HACCP & Better Process Control School Certified, GFSI Schemes (BRC/SQF) Certified, Woolworths Quality Assurance (WQA), USDC, FDA, U.S. Army and client audit preparation; Seafood Processing, Supplier Approval

Posted 28 February 2011 - 04:10 PM

1) In the Alaska Seafood industry most (f not all) caners of salmon (low acid food) belong the the trade group and process authority Seafood Possessors Association (SPA), they conduct and verify a Heat Distribution Test on our Retorts/Autoclaves when ever there is a change/instillation in our process (change in steam plumbing, can size, volume, etc). This test pertains to the Vent Time (time to fill the retort entirely with steam).

2) For us, our process authority (SPA) completes the HDT to establish Vent Time for the worst case scenario.

3) HACCP Risk Assessment process should cover this (boiler treatment chemicals cert approval)

4) None that I know of, see # 3.

5) In low acid food, one has to combat the worst thermophile: the spore of Clostridium botulinum by cooking the product to the required time/temp established by a Process Authority. These cook times have been well established, it is the vent time that is the 1st critical step that must be validated.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
-Cory

Thanked by 1 Member:

cosmo

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 50 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:22 AM

For one of our certifications I had to provide evidence that there was no boiler chemical cross contamination of the food product that came into contact with steam.
I took two samples. One from the boiler condensate return line and the second from the steam pipe prior to the pre conditioner (steam contact with food). To get the sample the pipe was disconnected after the steam trap and a flexible steam hose was connected then run through a water bath for condensation.
After running for 10 minutes a sample was taken and both were sent for analysis.
The samples were tested for salt and tannins (both water conditioning chemicals) along with two control samples, one de-ionised water and the other tap water.
The boiler condensate return gave salt and solid results similar to tap water and the condensed steam sample was closer to the de-ionised water sample.
This provided evidence that the boiler water chemicals were not cross contaminating the food product.
I trust this may help
Cosmo

Anish

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 158 posts
  • 74 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:54 AM

Pls. find the standard - an older version (current version is 609-03).

Also pls. check the below link - may be useful

http://www.foodquali...od_Quality.html

Attached Files

Edited by Anish, 01 March 2011 - 11:57 AM.

Thanked by 2 Members:

LivingHealthy86

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 March 2023 - 06:58 PM

For one of our certifications I had to provide evidence that there was no boiler chemical cross contamination of the food product that came into contact with steam.
I took two samples. One from the boiler condensate return line and the second from the steam pipe prior to the pre conditioner (steam contact with food). To get the sample the pipe was disconnected after the steam trap and a flexible steam hose was connected then run through a water bath for condensation.
After running for 10 minutes a sample was taken and both were sent for analysis.
The samples were tested for salt and tannins (both water conditioning chemicals) along with two control samples, one de-ionised water and the other tap water.
The boiler condensate return gave salt and solid results similar to tap water and the condensed steam sample was closer to the de-ionised water sample.
This provided evidence that the boiler water chemicals were not cross contaminating the food product.
I trust this may help
Cosmo

When you did this, did you have a culinary steam filter in place? We currently do not, and I am just wondering if you test to prove if you need extra filtration or not?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 23 March 2023 - 04:17 AM

When you did this, did you have a culinary steam filter in place? We currently do not, and I am just wondering if you test to prove if you need extra filtration or not?

Hi LH,

The quote is a 12-year old Post, response may be delayed. Other members may hopefully know.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users