What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

What is the basis of time limits for product recall?

Started by , Dec 18 2012 09:00 AM
3 Replies
Hello

We are a ingredient manufacturer (not a final food manufacturer) and have been asked to test product recall procedures (Mock - test).
We should demonstrate the recall prcedure efficiency on 4-hours (initial findings) and 24-hours (full investigation).
Does anyone knows where these time limits come from; is there a legal requirment behind?

Regards
Heinz Peyer
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Repackaging of Food Grade product Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? Zone 1,2,3 Limits in various facilities Mycotoxin and heavy metal limits in frozen fruits and vegetables as per EU regulations Ambient air micro (APC, Y&M) limits
[Ad]

Hello

We are a ingredient manufacturer (not a final food manufacturer) and have been asked to test product recall procedures (Mock - test).
We should demonstrate the recall prcedure efficiency on 4-hours (initial findings) and 24-hours (full investigation).
Does anyone knows where these time limits come from; is there a legal requirment behind?

Regards
Heinz Peyer

Dear Heinz Peyer,

May be legislatory (Swiss no idea ) but usually not.

Are you testing to a specific retail FSMS standard (eg BRC, IFS)?. From memory, the times are not specified in most GFSI options but there are a lot of other standards in use. Might even be the customer's own standard.

Around 4 hours for a certain scenario is one of many varieties i hv seen. Never seen a 24hr add-on before though. Speed / thoroughness are usually the dominant criteria IMEX.

Rgds / Charles.C
Hi,
I now work in food packaging so I do not have the FOOD BRC (V6) to hand but I am pretty sure the 4 hour limit is in there. A call to a colleague told me it is in clause 3.9.2. It was newly added to version 6. It was not in V 5.
I do not remember ever seeing the 24 hour one though.
We worked with one of the big retailers (UK based) and they were insisting on 4 hours long before the BRC ever did.
Regards
Sharon
Dewsbury

Dear Heinz Peyer,

May be legislatory (Swiss no idea ) but usually not.

Are you testing to a specific retail FSMS standard (eg BRC, IFS)?. From memory, the times are not specified in most GFSI options but there are a lot of other standards in use. Might even be the customer's own standard.

Around 4 hours for a certain scenario is one of many varieties i hv seen. Never seen a 24hr add-on before though. Speed / thoroughness are usually the dominant criteria IMEX.

Rgds / Charles.C

Hi Sharon,

Not expert on BRC6 however -
3.9.2 seems to be traceability, full traceability (whatever that means) required in 4 hrs.
3.11.3 relates to testing recall. Annual (minimum) test (presumably "mock recall") required. no time mentioned.
So maybe the quest continues.

It is also possible the OP includes some confusion over terminologies if USA was involved at all since "full traceability' is mentioned/overviewed by AIB with 24 hrs limit (due new plant rules). Other more demanding targets mentioned also (2hr) predictably different to BRC6.
AIB traceability, mock recall terminologies-implementation - 8Recall.pdf   287.52KB   303 downloads
AIB - TraceandRecall methods.pdf   110.97KB   285 downloads

PS - my experience UK retailers / mock recall similar to your time but can get complicated if shipments out of the country of origin involved - disturbing people watching the telly for a mock recall can generate some heat.

Rgds / Charles.C

As per related thread below, there are a range of opinions on the exact interpretation of traceability, mock recall, degree of overlap, etc. For current thread, the OP's actual requirements / standard, if any, remain unknown (BRC's expectations for MR are also rather opaque, eg "in a way that ensures their effective operation" ).

http://www.ifsqn.com...dpost__p__48267
3 Thanks

Similar Discussion Topics
Repackaging of Food Grade product Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? Zone 1,2,3 Limits in various facilities Mycotoxin and heavy metal limits in frozen fruits and vegetables as per EU regulations Ambient air micro (APC, Y&M) limits First time Costco audit, no GFSI certification Is there a minimum PPM of nitrites necessary to deem a product food safe when curing meats? Establishing Limits for Compressed Air Testing Quaker Recall Environmental Testing Limits For Dry Pulse Processing Facility