What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Evaluation of raw materials suppliers

Started by , Feb 01 2013 04:12 PM
5 Replies
Hello guys,

I am drafting some points on which I can evaluate my raw mat suppliers.
They supply me dry raw materials for animal feed production like fish meal , flour, wheat bran, wheat germe, fish oil, crude soya oil, shortening used oil, yeast.
I would evaluate them on basis of feed safety and hygiene, SQA, absence of infestattion, good traceability.
Any more help from you?
Thanks,

Rudra
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Effective evaluation methods of food safety training Supplier evaluation USDA Labeling Evaluation SQF 2.3.3 - Storage and Distribution Supplier Evaluation Survey FDA Warning Letter Evaluation and Response
[Ad]

Hello guys,

I am drafting some points on which I can evaluate my raw mat suppliers.
They supply me dry raw materials for animal feed production like fish meal , flour, wheat bran, wheat germe, fish oil, crude soya oil, shortening used oil, yeast.
I would evaluate them on basis of feed safety and hygiene, SQA, absence of infestattion, good traceability.
Any more help from you?
Thanks,

Rudra

Per cent of rejected lots.

Rgds / Charles.C

Per cent of rejected lots.

Rgds / Charles.C

Do you have a template for assesment ?

Rudra

Do you have a template for assesment ?

Rudra

Basically you only need a table with 3-4 columns - date, size of individual incoming lot, whether accepted or rejected (or how many portions thereof rejected).

Then you can calculate an average rejection rate for an appropriate period, eg 1 month. The choice of time depends on factors like frequency of delivery, lot presentation (eg using sub-units or in bulk), lot size, sensitivity of item or its value.

The trickier part is in setting running evaluation criteria / corrective actions which again can depend on the precise application. For example, some people grade the suppliers, eg defect rates >10% = D = Fail, 5-10% = C, 2-5% = B, 0-2% = A. So maybe any incidence of D, or more than 2 successive scores of C triggers corrective action, eg a dialog with supplier to improve quality. Various permutations are possible.
(the idea is based on a very old chain sampling procedure associated with the American MIL standards).

Rgds / Charles.C
This seems like a simplified approach.

This seems like a simplified approach.

Dear Bill Wheatley,

I guess it depends on what you mean by "simplified" ?. It's probably true that the designers of the MIL Std might be a little underwhelmed. But then again, rocket science applied to suppliers of used frying oil is possibly a little overkill also?

Nonetheless, I cheerfully admit to subscribing to KISS as far as possible if auditorially acceptable.

Rgds / Charles.C

Similar Discussion Topics
Effective evaluation methods of food safety training Supplier evaluation USDA Labeling Evaluation SQF 2.3.3 - Storage and Distribution Supplier Evaluation Survey FDA Warning Letter Evaluation and Response Guidance or Checklist for the evaluation of HACCP Plans Supplier Evaluation and Risk Assessment Evaluation checklist for transportation service supplier Evaluation of Supplier Risk for FSVP - Feedback BRC Packaging risk matrix for supplier approval and evaluation