• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 March 2023 - 02:10 PM

Hello All,

This is my first time using this site.  I have read various different topics and trully appreciate having a site were you can go and see the suggestions, guidance and feedback provided.

I am writing today as I am not completely understanding the SQF request for Supplier Approval with regards to Section 2.3.3.

The auditor dinged me last year becuase I didn't have a supplier evaluation survye sent.  I am stuck becuase I see the suppliers as being office supplies, cleaning supplies, maintenance vendors.  However, I am not sure if the acutal customers who store product would be on this list or even transportation providers.  I have been looking on line and reading to find the correct supplier evaluation and supplier re-evaluation survey form to use but I seem to keep finding surveys that are for manufacturing facilities.  Any guidance on evaluation survey forms would greatly be appreciated.  

Thank you in advance for your time.

SHQuality

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 317 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 03 March 2023 - 02:23 PM

I am stuck becuase I see the suppliers as being office supplies, cleaning supplies, maintenance vendors.  However, I am not sure if the acutal customers who store product would be on this list or even transportation providers. 

Hi Janet.

I work with BRC myself, so I'm not sure what terminology SQF uses, but my initial thought was that you were confusing service providers with suppliers.

Whenever you're talking about a company that delivers a physical product to you, you are required to ensure consistent quality of that product by setting certain specifications you and the supplier both agree to.

For office supplies, that means "I will buy only blue metal-detectable pens of brand X" while the requirements for ingredients can get quite extensive and complicated.

Cleaning supplies would involve chemicals, so you'd also need to do a risk assessment on the cleaning product in question and act accordingly.

Maintenance providers and packaging suppliers would be considered service providers. (If you make a food product that is packaged in the packaging material you buy.)

How you deal with supplier evaluation very much depends on the product you're talking about and its associated risks and, of course, the certifications of the supplier.

I would suggest making a list of all the companies that deliver services or products to you and sort them into different categories of suppliers and services providers before getting into the details. I have my ingredient suppliers further sorted into manufacturers, traders and brokers. If I ask information from a trader or broker, I also need to know who manufactured the product unless the trader/broker is GFSI certified.

• RyH likes this

SHQuality

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 317 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 03 March 2023 - 02:24 PM

So, what does your company make and/or sell?

Edited by SHQuality, 03 March 2023 - 02:24 PM.

JanetLopez

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 March 2023 - 04:00 PM

We store dry product, frozen and chilled product.  We never open any product.  All pallets are wrapped upon arrival if not already wrapped.  There is product that is received where we will lump onto pallets, wrap and place in storage. Our Shipping and Receiving team work with the customer to arrange scheduling of appointments for inboud and outbound. 

Sayed M Naim Khalid

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 103 posts
  • 30 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 March 2023 - 06:29 PM

It is simple. Follow the following steps: 

1. identify all your vendors or service providers to your business. Some examples are trash collection company, freezer room maintenance, food suppliers, machinery mechanic... 
  2. Make a one pager or 2 pagers form with question such as:
    1. Are you happy with service provider?
    2. Will you use the same service provider again?
    3. Is there anything the service provider has to improve?
    4. What is your rating of the service provider from 1-10 (1 Not good, 10 excellent). 
  3. Ask all your unit managers/heads of the depts to assess their service providers using your Form. 
  4. Both the assessors (your unit managers) and the service provider has to sign the document. 
  5. Then, you keep the copies of those signed document in your files. 
  6. This has to repeat every year. 

The second approach would be to assess (audit) your food suppliers. If you have resources, just go their facility and do your assessment similar to your regular /internal audits. Keep the report and it shows your assessed your suppliers. 

JanetLopez

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 March 2023 - 07:25 PM

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions and feedback.  My questions and the direction to take has been answered.  I feel so much better and confident in getting this item checked off.  Have a wonderful weekend.  

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users