What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Rust in Freezer?

Started by , Sep 20 2014 01:06 PM
4 Replies

Auditors have recently pointed out that we are forming rust on the pallet racks in our freezer, we are a small operation, and can't really afford to shut down a freezer, bring up the temperature, repaint, and then cool back down.  Is there an alternative?  Like a paint that can be applied in near 0 temperatures, or are we just going to have to bite the bullet?

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Rust proof locks for a chemical cage How to prevent rust in cans after sterilization? Rust In Ice Makers Food-Grade Rust Sealant? Food Grade Rust Inhibitor
[Ad]

Would it be possible to remove small sections of the racking, remove the rust and repaint it outside the freezer?

1 Like

You may want to give some more details about how the racks are installed and what type. I believe Setanta's approach would be the best option.  Racks are usually modular systems that can be purchased piece-meal. A 108x36x96 section new can run about $250-$300. Assemble and install the temp rack, remove and paint the old, rinse and repeat. It may take several days to complete but at least you won't have to deal with the logistics of down-time or dealing with public cold storage.

Here is an excellent paint btw:  http://steel-it.com/

1 Like

You may want to give some more details about how the racks are installed and what type. I believe Setanta's approach would be the best option.  Racks are usually modular systems that can be purchased piece-meal. A 108x36x96 section new can run about $250-$300. Assemble and install the temp rack, remove and paint the old, rinse and repeat. It may take several days to complete but at least you won't have to deal with the logistics of down-time or dealing with public cold storage.

Here is an excellent paint btw:  http://steel-it.com

well, i think it is better to be rinsed first prior to be painted. several light rust can be eliminated just by brushing+teepol

The racks are drive-in racks with tear drop supports, I'll try to upload some pictures later.

Similar Discussion Topics
Rust proof locks for a chemical cage How to prevent rust in cans after sterilization? Rust In Ice Makers Food-Grade Rust Sealant? Food Grade Rust Inhibitor Food grade rust preventive for molds Water sifter size to prevent rust particles? Rust on Stainless Steel