Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 15 April 2008 - 01:37 PM

I just need to find out want danger does rust impose in food , apparently our ice maker has rusted and the ice coming out is used for production. :rolleyes:

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:03 PM

I would immediately stop using this machine and switch to bought in ice until it could be replaced.

There's the obvious foreign body hazard. Rust has a habit of breaking off in pieces not just staying where it is. If it's in contact with or over the ice, it's a major issue and needs dealing with.

There is also a microbiological risk too. Once a surface is damaged, in this case by rust, it's no longer smooth and easily cleanable, therefore you can't clean it properly and the pieces of rust breaking off could be carrying pathogens.

Ice machines are often overlooked from a hygiene perspective but I've known them to be sources of contamination.

I recommend replacing the machine rather than repairing it because if it's rusty, then was the quality of steel high enough to be in contact with food?

APPAJI

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:18 PM

My Question to Concern- What Injection is given if you are pricked with rusty nail?
Yes - ATC- Anti Tetrac.
Why?
Because Tetnus Bacteria is always associated with rust.
Hence Iron is not allowed in food inductry.
Use the Good Quality Stainless Steel - SS 308 for making any equipment for food processing.
If any equipment is made of iron or ss quality is not good then rust will come and tetnus is not far.
Hence ideal situation is change the equipment.
Appaji

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:15 AM

Dear Chauke,

It depends on the type of freezer and internal / external design but one cause not always obvious is breaking / broken bearings in mechanical parts which will require changing immediately (often by manufacturer's original materials also).
Hopefully yr input water is OK.

Yr observation is normally considered a critical defect IMEX in relationship to the fundamental importance of "clean" water and "clean" ice.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Jean

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 429 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 16 April 2008 - 08:39 AM

Dear Chauke,

The hazards from rusty equipments (any equipment used for food preparation) can lead to physical, chemical and microbiological hazards which can cause adverse health effects. The ice which is an ingredient in your food preparation process has to be safe and made from an ice-machine working in sound condition.

I have heard of complaints because of parts from equipment like plastic or bolts etc. going into food from rusty equipments and this has caused choking in some cases. Metal shavings and sediments have resulted due to rust formation in water / ice.

The chemical hazards can be with heavy metals lead, cadmium etc depending on the metal used for making the pipelines and fittings.

The minerals in the water get concentrated as it becomes ice and leads to scale build up can result due and this can result in high energy and maintenance cost.

The rust can affect the taste, off colours and odour and other quality issues. If the water pipelines are rusty, water will be more turbid and this will interfere with the purification and disinfection, resulting in high TDS and this will make the ice cubes cloudy, softer & will melt faster.

Iron bacteria can be found in rust or particles of iron which leads to pipe corrosions. Though ice is not a PHF, it can carry organisms which can cause illness as the organism is live. Algal growth is possible in un-cleaned and rusty equipments.

In short, if the ice is contaminated this will result in the contamination of all the foods products being processed using the contaminated source.

So as the others have said, it’s essential to consider the rust in your ice-machine and ensure the necessary steps are taken to prevent the contamination.

Best regards,

J

Best regards,

J

Only the curious will learn and only the resolute overcome the obstacles to learning. The quest quotient has always excited me more than the intelligence quotient. Eugene S Wilson

Jean

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 429 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:41 AM

The chlorine used for sanitizing the water used for making ice can lead to corrosion if the pH decreases.

Best regards,

J

Only the curious will learn and only the resolute overcome the obstacles to learning. The quest quotient has always excited me more than the intelligence quotient. Eugene S Wilson

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Food Safety, Science, Paddleboarding, Space

Posted 10 April 2019 - 07:05 AM

:diespam:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:08 AM

Zanorias, thanks I have deleted the spam post and spammer. We get a lot of spam and I tidy up a lot, so appreciate when you flag it up. By the way can you please send me a PM with your postal address for the mug.

Thanks,
Simon

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users