• Quick Navigation
Photo

How to prevent rust in cans after sterilization?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic
* * * * * 1 votes

Najib TAHIRI

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Morocco
    Morocco

Posted 04 July 2019 - 11:47 AM

I detected small spots of rust on cans after sterilization exactly in the easy open - now I want to solve this problem, who to get cans without rust after sterilization?

Edited by Najib TAHIRI, 04 July 2019 - 11:48 AM.

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 04 July 2019 - 12:13 PM

I detected small spots of rust on cans after sterilization exactly in the easy open - now I want to solve this problem, who to get cans without rust after sterilization?

Have you talked to your supplier about it? You should first contact whoever supplied those to you and let them know of the problem as a first step.

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

mahantesh.micro

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 166 posts
  • 88 thanks
Excellent

• India
    India
  • Interests:Food Safety Standards, Specification developments, Procedures
    Other interests are- cricket and indoor games

Posted 05 July 2019 - 12:55 PM

Apply food grade lacquer around the seam soon after seaming before sterilization, it will avoid rust spots
Rust spots may be due to scratches on the rollers of seaming machine, check it and if u find such scratches get it rectified from ur maintenance team.

Regards
Mahantesh

Sent from my Redmi Y1 using Tapatalk

Najib TAHIRI

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Morocco
    Morocco

Posted 05 July 2019 - 02:06 PM

Apply food grade lacquer around the seam soon after seaming before sterilization, it will avoid rust spots
Rust spots may be due to scratches on the rollers of seaming machine, check it and if u find such scratches get it rectified from ur maintenance team.

Regards
Mahantesh

Regards
Mahantesh

hi dude thank you for your interest, I think you misunderstanding me cause the problem was not in the seaming it was in the easy open 

Najib TAHIRI

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Morocco
    Morocco

Posted 05 July 2019 - 02:13 PM

Have you talked to your supplier about it? You should first contact whoever supplied those to you and let them know of the problem as a first step.

Hi dude yes as action correction I have contacted the provider about that, but I need to correct the problem right now, so if you have any idea about  how to solve that  problem feel free to reply me thank you

mahantesh.micro

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 166 posts
  • 88 thanks
Excellent

• India
    India
  • Interests:Food Safety Standards, Specification developments, Procedures
    Other interests are- cricket and indoor games

Posted 05 July 2019 - 02:20 PM

hi dude thank you for your interest, I think you misunderstanding me cause the problem was not in the seaming it was in the easy open

Oh is it.. then u hav to cantact ur EOE supplier, ask for better lacquered one.
Thanks

Larbi

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Morocco
    Morocco

Posted 05 July 2019 - 02:35 PM

Hi
Be sure that your container provider apply protecting laquer after covers scoring.
If you sterilize product in water you have to use softened water.

Chouguer

Thanked by 1 Member:

Najib TAHIRI

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Morocco
    Morocco

Posted 05 July 2019 - 03:04 PM

Oh is it.. then u hav to cantact ur EOE supplier, ask for better lacquered one.
Thanks

Hi dude yes as action correction I have contacted the provider about that, but I need to correct the problem right now, so if you have any idea about  how to solve that  problem feel free to reply me thank you

Najib TAHIRI

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Morocco
    Morocco

Posted 05 July 2019 - 03:35 PM

Hi
Be sure that your container provider apply protecting laquer after covers scoring.

Chouguer

Hi

Chouguer

Hi Mr Larbi it is great to talk to you, how are you doing today? I know it's a manufacturing problem because the whole can is normal, except for the easy open and I have contacted the provider about that. So now except the TDS of water, if I mix a product that inhibits the sport of rust with water, there will be no effect on cans and autoclave and if there is anyone who has already used this method to share with us exactly how can we do that? Thank you 

Najib TAHIRI

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Morocco
    Morocco

Posted 05 July 2019 - 07:24 PM

The best solution is to reject all empty cans cause the important thing is the loyalty of my customers No matter what will be the cost. Thank you all for your participation

Edited by Najib TAHIRI, 05 July 2019 - 07:34 PM.

Larbi

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Morocco
    Morocco

Posted 05 July 2019 - 09:36 PM

do you process aluminium or tinplate containers? alumium containers could be attaked by alkaline detergents.
Some canners use antioxidant containing zinc or molybden

Najib TAHIRI

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Morocco
    Morocco

Posted 06 July 2019 - 06:36 AM

do you process aluminium or tinplate containers? alumium containers could be attaked by alkaline detergents.
Some canners use antioxidant containing zinc or molybden

now, production has been stopped until we receive new cans, but if we use the antioxidant, they will have no effect on the boiler and autoclave.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5664 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 07 July 2019 - 12:15 AM

Hi Najib,

Rejection is indeed a possible response to an observed defect.

But the "solution" also necessitates determining the Root Cause.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Najib TAHIRI

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Morocco
    Morocco

Posted 07 July 2019 - 05:30 AM

Hi Najib,

Rejection is indeed a possible response to an observed defect.

But the "solution" also necessitates determining the Root Cause.

the main cause is due to the manufacturer of cans 

Larbi

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Morocco
    Morocco

Posted 07 July 2019 - 08:48 AM

if you usechlorinated water during cooling be sure that chlorine content is not the cause of rust.
It is recommended that after thermal process you dry your cans as soon as possible.
When you recieve news covers inspects scoring line to be sure that additional laquer was applied after scoring.

Najib TAHIRI

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Morocco
    Morocco

Posted 07 July 2019 - 11:32 AM

if you usechlorinated water during cooling be sure that chlorine content is not the cause of rust.
It is recommended that after thermal process you dry your cans as soon as possible.
When you recieve news covers inspects scoring line to be sure that additional laquer was applied after scoring.

we use filtered water (reverse osmosis and one of the chemicals that we use chlorine and anti-chlorine ) I know the exact main problem and the production was stopped and all the defective cans are rejected but if you want to detect the problem by yourself I got some question for you, 

1- why the rust is existing only in the easy open?
2-  Why some cans with rust and other normal, knowing that all cans produced in the same Date with same conditions?

knowing that the corrosion tends to progress more rapidly in the sea water than the freshwater i mean that the role of water in the reactions of the rusting  ( electrochemicale process) is conductivity

Larbi

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Morocco
    Morocco

Posted 07 July 2019 - 02:41 PM

The press that make score line inject laquer on the score. sometimes injection is not regular.
desalinated water by reverse osmosis need to be treated before use.

Najib TAHIRI

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Morocco
    Morocco

Posted 08 July 2019 - 08:59 AM

The press that make score line inject laquer on the score. sometimes injection is not regular.
desalinated water by reverse osmosis need to be treated before use.

Yes, you are right, the problem is that the easy opening has not been properly coated and with the high temperature (sterilization), the tinplate stretching leads to direct contact with water.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5664 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 08 July 2019 - 03:27 PM

Yes, you are right, the problem is that the easy opening has not been properly coated and with the high temperature (sterilization), the tinplate stretching leads to direct contact with water.

Root Cause >>>> And Why is that ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Najib TAHIRI

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Morocco
    Morocco

Posted 09 July 2019 - 06:47 AM

Root Cause >>>> And Why is that ?

HI  Charles tomorrow I will meet the company of cans to answer those questions, and I will communicate with you all causes

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users