What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Hairnets Required in Warehouse

Started by , Nov 11 2014 03:21 PM
20 Replies

So I am curious to know what everyone does in regards to requiring or not requiring hair nets and or beard etc in the warehouse functions of the plant? What is your reasoning for whatever side of the fence you fall on.

This is a current debate at our plant and I have my personal opinion but I am curious as to what standards of practice there are out there for others. 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Hairnets for a packaging component manufacturing facility Where can employees wear hairnets? Reusable Hairnets Use of washable cloth caps instead of disposable hairnets? How do you control the wearing of bandanas/stocking caps with hairnets
[Ad]

We require them in the warehouse.  The appearance of the product as it arrives at the customer's location is part of the quality program, so not having hair and beard whiskers in the pallet shrink wrap is important to us.

Obviously, keeping hair and beard whiskers out of the raw materials is important as well.

Our associate who is in charge of our food grade warehouse takes immense pride in HIS warehouse.  You could eat off the floor in there.

Martha

1 Like1 Thank

We require them in the warehouse.  The appearance of the product as it arrives at the customer's location is part of the quality program, so not having hair and beard whiskers in the pallet shrink wrap is important to us.

Obviously, keeping hair and beard whiskers out of the raw materials is important as well.

Our associate who is in charge of our food grade warehouse takes immense pride in HIS warehouse.  You could eat off the floor in there.

Martha

Thank you Martha! That is how I feel as well.

I also think that hairnets/beard nets is a plant wide GMP rule. It's all about creating a culture more so than basing this one on a risk analysis. The people need to understand that they are dealing with food and its not just any other warehouse job. Changing the culture of the plant is the hardest task for a QA person to interject when creating a food safety/quality system.

Seeing hairnets plant wide is also easy on the eyes for any customer/regulatory/3rd party auditor. It shows that you take food safety/foreign material serious no matter what stage your raw material/finished product is at.

2 Likes1 Thank

I also think that hairnets/beard nets is a plant wide GMP rule. It's all about creating a culture more so than basing this one on a risk analysis. The people need to understand that they are dealing with food and its not just any other warehouse job. Changing the culture of the plant is the hardest task for a QA person to interject when creating a food safety/quality system.

Seeing hairnets plant wide is also easy on the eyes for any customer/regulatory/3rd party auditor. It shows that you take food safety/foreign material serious no matter what stage your raw material/finished product is at.

Great! I really like your response. I was having a hard time defending my stance on the "why" I felt it should be the same and you guys have helped me with that!

Dear All,

FWIW here is the US Food Code (2009) -

hair restraints.png   93.22KB   12 downloads

Here is Tesco Food Standard (UK)  (2012) -

hair restraints (2).png   32.35KB   9 downloads

Rgds / Charles.C

If you are referring to finished goods, it is not necessary by rule. However,It does not hurt a thing to go beyond the requirements and I personally wear one at all times even though it is not company policy in that situation. That is, the truck driver and the lumper service probably will not be wearing one. I believe the film or barrier should be considered for the product in question in order to safely store and ship a product. A hair on top of a box or bag may be the least of your concerns in the life of a product. I would be sure to evaluate the HACCP plan and my complaint log as to the number of issues related to hair on a box or bag to assure my customers safety for all possible contamination and not just a hair or two.

The only issue I would see if you implement the policy in your warehouse is that the auditor will comment that it is not necessary which if you are struggling to get people to wear them will undermine your other requests that are actually necessary.

1 Like1 Thank

i think should be risk assessment based, historical events related to this issue 

A slight aside to this discussion... I was doing Food safety training today with a gang and they wanted to know why beard hair was more of a problem that eyebrow hair... I was at a loss to answer except for the fact I'd never heard of eyebrow hair being a problem and that we could equip them with balaclavas if they wished.... I'd like to know the answer though.... for next time.

They also had a issue with all outer clothing being covered with PPE ( they wear boiler suits....I hate boiler suits.. I may have put them off boiler suits by the time we had finished discussing the mechanics of going to the toilet with a boiler suit on). It's a cold plant and they're processing fish they want to wear body warmers... always with the I want...I want.... I suggested getting coats to wear over the body warmer which is over the boiler suit and then at least the coat can be removed before visiting the toilet...and then we got back onto the vagaries of going to the toilet in a boiler suit.....in ever decreasing circles

Any thoughts bearing in mind these guys are buying their own PPE

Quite frankly I don't think is less of an issue than a beard, although usually there is less hair in an eyebrow (or at least for most people).  I have seen some high risk plants use the full face coverage with just an opening for eyes and a rather small opening so eyebrows were covered.    If we are dealing with wants......I want a vacation......

If you are referring to finished goods, it is not necessary by rule. However,It does not hurt a thing to go beyond the requirements and I personally wear one at all times even though it is not company policy in that situation. That is, the truck driver and the lumper service probably will not be wearing one. I believe the film or barrier should be considered for the product in question in order to safely store and ship a product. A hair on top of a box or bag may be the least of your concerns in the life of a product. I would be sure to evaluate the HACCP plan and my complaint log as to the number of issues related to hair on a box or bag to assure my customers safety for all possible contamination and not just a hair or two.

I agree with Mr. Taste Maker,

In our warehouse, those who work in the finished goods area is not required to wear hairnet, but those in raw material/mixing need to wear them. 

A slight aside to this discussion... I was doing Food safety training today with a gang and they wanted to know why beard hair was more of a problem that eyebrow hair... I was at a loss to answer except for the fact I'd never heard of eyebrow hair being a problem and that we could equip them with balaclavas if they wished.... I'd like to know the answer though.... for next time.

Balaclavas?   I prefer this to control unruly eyebrows , or mandating Divine style eyebrows for all employees.   When was the last time you paid a stranger to pluck your beard?

Agreed with Snookie, they aren't less likely to fall out (same with arm hair), however, they are less likely to be

• Long & found by a customer
  • Caked in food
  • Caught in machinery

Thanks Magenta, as ever the purveyor of common sense and practical solutions!! I shall include this picture in my presentation for the next eyebrow questioner. On another note, a colleague was telling me that in a facility in China they apply rubber ( ?) bands around the sleeves of the PPE to prevent arm hair falling into the food. Mind you in this facility the standards were so high they had a person who clipped your nails before you entered the production area... we can only dream......

3 minutes later......

you're all going to tell me you do this already....... :headhurts:

We have disposable sleeves...  They aren't metal detectable though

Our smock sleeves are long (it is cool in our production areas) and have an elastic cuff. 

This company uses sleeves too, but whatever they are doing in China is just better....in every way.......

This company uses sleeves too, but whatever they are doing in China is just better....in every way.......

They don't even pluck, man.  They THREAD. 

They also earn $200 a month.....

At our plant finished goods warehouse they do not require hair nets, we are a canning facility.  However they are required to wear them in the ingredient warehouse.  

Thank you to PetBone for starting this convo... this has been an ongoing debate in our facility.  Eyebrows, nose hair, chest hair all got drug into the mix.  I am glad I am not the only person out there that deals with this.  If it is any consequence, we ended up making hairnets, beardnets a company wide GMP requirement.  Thanks again for all the information

Similar Discussion Topics
Hairnets for a packaging component manufacturing facility Where can employees wear hairnets? Reusable Hairnets Use of washable cloth caps instead of disposable hairnets? How do you control the wearing of bandanas/stocking caps with hairnets Reusing coats and hairnets Hairnets and Beard Snoods Is it ok to wear baseball caps or even beanies under hairnets? Hairnets when only (re)packing fruits Hair restraints VS Hairnets