Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 22 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 October 2018 - 08:08 PM

What is everyone's reasoning for wearing hairnets over the top of stocking caps and bananas? I have had this as a rule, but I am recently now receiving push-back on it. 

Also, do you allow employees to wear their sweatshirt hoods up over the top of their hard hat or underneath it?

#2 kfromNE

kfromNE

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 243 posts
  • 79 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 18 October 2018 - 08:55 PM

I've never seen the rule of a hairnet over the stocking cap but instead putting a hairnet on first then the stocking cap. The reason being that most stocking caps or bandanas won't cover the hair completely.

#3 Ruthie1

Ruthie1

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 22 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 October 2018 - 09:05 PM

I've never seen the rule of a hairnet over the stocking cap but instead putting a hairnet on first then the stocking cap. The reason being that most stocking caps or bandanas won't cover the hair completely.

I got dinged on an audit for employees having hairnets underneath. He asked me how I knew they had them on if you couldn't see them, and how I knew they were cleaned properly if I did not launder them in-house.

#4 SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,061 posts
  • 529 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Righting the ship for companies and getting them into the SQF certification channel, Learning the play the Sax, walking on the beach in Costa Rica and drinking incredible CR coffee! Pura Vida!

Posted 18 October 2018 - 09:09 PM

You have a stupid Auditor Ruthie.

Hairnets are intended to cover hair - not a hat.

I have seen companies issue hats where they control them for cleaning, etc - but always with a hairnet covering the hair.

Warm regards,

Glenn Oster

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC

SQF Development & Implementation Consultants

FSVP Consultants

Yorktown, VA & Arenal, Costa Rica

www.GlennOsterConsulting.com

+1-800-793-7042 (Earth Wide)

We help small-to-midsize food, food contact packaging & food logistic businesses to co-develop entire SQF systems and provide consulting audits on facilities and operations to ensure SQF compliance in order to get certified as quickly as possible, so that your company can retain customers and gain new customers that expect certification from their suppliers.

Development of SQF Systems - Implementation of SQF - eConsultant - FSVP Development - Internal Auditor Training - this is what we do 24/7

#5 Mr. Wallace

Mr. Wallace

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 22 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 October 2018 - 10:51 PM

at my facility hoods must be tucked into frocks and not worn on the head at all. frocks and hairnets are designed to cover, so if you are wearing a hood,even with a hairnet on top of it the back or some of the sides are exposed defeating its intended purpose. Hoods can easily contain hairs so if an employee is wearing one on top of their bump cap and hairnet, whats protecting those hairs from falling into your product?  

#6 Scampi

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,830 posts
  • 774 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 19 October 2018 - 12:42 PM

Stocking caps/bandana's (unless company issued and laundered) should be worn UNDER the hairnet-----the hairnet needs to then cover ALL of the hairline (easiest to implement an over the ears method of wearing hairnets)       

Also, a tight fight hat over top will inevitable pull the hair net up

If not company issued----gross, when was it washed last, where was it stored????   For the same reason..........no hoodies exposed just like other street clothes.....you cannot control them so they need to be inside the smock

IMO--do not allow ANY head covering besides a hairnet boom, problem solved...........yes you will get ALOT of push back on this, but it the simplest way to manage this one. Once people start getting written notices for repeatedly not following company policy it will become the new normal

AND this would add to your continuous improvement for the year

Because we always have is never an appropriate response!

#7 Peaches

Peaches

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 125 posts
  • 103 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 October 2018 - 03:40 PM

We have our employees wear a hairnet covering their hair and if they choose to wear a stocking cap or bandana, they need to wear a hairnet on top of that.  So they will be wearing 2 hairnets. The reasoning is as Scampi pointed out, we do not control the cleaning of those items, so it's more of an extension of their hair at that point and should be covered (we also wear frocks over street clothes so it's the same concept)

We work in a refrigerated plant.  The employees are allowed to wear their hoods up (this does not replace any of the hairnet requirements above), or if they have them down then the hood has to be tucked into their frock.  The reason for tucking the hood in is more of a safety reason if they have to bend down for anything we don't want their hoods getting caught up in a piece of running equipment.

#8 Scampi

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,830 posts
  • 774 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 19 October 2018 - 03:44 PM

you can also get disposable balaclavas that will cover a hoodie!

https://www.acklands...-25PK/p/RON1890

Because we always have is never an appropriate response!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

EV SSL Certificate