What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Protein Content Claims

Started by , Jan 06 2015 02:46 PM
1 Reply

The following is the guideline for protein content claims by the CFIA. 

http://www.inspectio...07817577?chap=3

There are a variety of components contributing to the total protein content of our product. I need to know if I can claim “source of protein” for the finished product (not only one of the ingredients).    

Anyone with similar experience in protein content labelling?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Can I do protein powder packaging and bagging business at home? PDCAAS (Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score) Calculating percent (%) DV (daily value) for protein? What is the name of the protein that causes allergies? HACCP Guidance Plant Based Protein Meat Alternatives.
[Ad]

Normally the protein would be based on the finished product as consumed so it would depend on what your final finished product testing determined.  The Summary Table of Protein Claims (that is provided with the link you provided) is well documented to the specific claim requirements.

Within Australia, the Food Standards Code (Standard 1.2.7) stipulates that to make a general claim for protein the food must contain at least 5g or protein per serving unless the claim is about low or reduced protein. To use the descriptor "good source" of protein it must have 10g of protein per serving.  There is also requirements if you want to use the word "increased" protein. 

1 Like

Similar Discussion Topics
Can I do protein powder packaging and bagging business at home? PDCAAS (Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score) Calculating percent (%) DV (daily value) for protein? What is the name of the protein that causes allergies? HACCP Guidance Plant Based Protein Meat Alternatives. Standardization of Caramel Color and Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein Using Protein Residue for EMP Testing BRC issue 9 5.4.7 - Ongoing verification for "High Protein" and "High Fiber" Claims Use of human derived protein products in food preparation Role of Protein in Chocolate Emulsion