• Quick Navigation
Photo

BRC issue 9 5.4.7 - Ongoing verification for "High Protein" and "High Fiber" Claims

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic
- - - - -

NickPeris281292

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 03 March 2023 - 04:41 PM

Hi,

In our products we have the claim 'High Protein' and 'High in Fiber' We initially validated it by sending it to the lab for a nutritional test. My doubt comes when the interpretation guideline mentions 'ongoing verification'. Do we need to constantly send our meals to the lab?

Our recipes are standardized.

Many thanks for the help.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,533 posts
  • 1517 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 03 March 2023 - 04:47 PM

I think you should be doing an annual lab verification

also, you should be verifying your incoming ingredients each time/every time to ensure that the CoA meets the original as part of ongoing verification

Assuming your recipe never changes---then standard incoming ingredients should equate a standard (variance naturally) finished good for fibre and protein

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Evans X.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 331 posts
  • 157 thanks
Excellent

• Greece
    Greece
  • Interests:Food safety, Lab quality, Reading, Online&board gaming, Movies&series, Basketball.

Posted 06 March 2023 - 09:11 AM

Greetings Nick,

No, since your recipies are standardized you don't have to do it constantly, but you should send periodically according to a sampling plan (could be once a year) or when you change something other than the recipe, like the supplier of an ingredient so as to ensure the claim is still intact.

Regards!

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 06 March 2023 - 09:32 PM

Hi,

In our products we have the claim 'High Protein' and 'High in Fiber' We initially validated it by sending it to the lab for a nutritional test. My doubt comes when the interpretation guideline mentions 'ongoing verification'. Do we need to constantly send our meals to the lab?

Our recipes are standardized.

Many thanks for the help.

Hi Nick,

I suspect it may depend on how close yr actual data is with respect to the limiting numeric interpretation of the claimed properties.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,248 posts
  • 1298 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 07 March 2023 - 05:32 AM

Hi Nick,

It isn't a requirement in the standard but noted as a good practice in BRCGS Issue 9 Guidance:

Good practice is to ensure that a programme of ongoing verification and monitoring is in place to demonstrate that claims are consistently met.

So, I agree with Evans X and would be sampling annually plus when there are any changes (ingredients, suppliers, recipe, process). I would hope that you have covered off Charles' point in your validation.

Your BRCGS auditor may think you should be sampling more frequently but I would be confident in defending that position, you are covering off a guide not a requirement and have probably got bigger fish to fry!

Kind regards,

Tony

SHQuality

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 317 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 07 March 2023 - 06:58 AM

Your BRCGS auditor may think you should be sampling more frequently but I would be confident in defending that position, you are covering off a guide not a requirement and have probably got bigger fish to fry!

Actually, you'd be verifying conformance with labelling legislation.

You'd be surprised how often supposedly standardized recipes do not yield the nutritional info you expected because the supplier changed something without informing you.

I would verify this at least 2 times a year (more likely 4).

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,248 posts
  • 1298 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 07 March 2023 - 11:13 AM

Actually, you'd be verifying conformance with labelling legislation.

You'd be surprised how often supposedly standardized recipes do not yield the nutritional info you expected because the supplier changed something without informing you.

I would verify this at least 2 times a year (more likely 4).

I don't think I would be, my routine analysis would give an indication of any variation and if necessary I would investigate.

Kind regards,

Tony

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users