What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

People are not assets

Started by , Jan 19 2006 09:09 PM
11 Replies
"People are our most valuable assets" is a common, lofty and perhaps well-meant sound bite with which, upon its analysis, it is difficult to feel comfortable. It is not true.

Read Full Article:
People are not assets

Note: If you are enjoying reading Allan's column (or not) please do let us know. It would be nice to get some feedback...

Thanks,
Simon
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Will unannounced audits cause more people to leave the QA field? Are we allowed to sanitize white safety shoes with anti fungal spray and reuse for other people? What to do when people do not follow the personal hygiene regulations Are there any regulations stating how many people can have write access to documents? Would you say there is a general shortage of Technical/QA type of people to fill roles?
[Ad]
Dear Simon,

For one, I thoroughly enjoy reading these posts, it gives me a great insight into many factors of todays working environment, it also gives me unlimited ammunition to fire at the directors when they become haughty (many having the obligitory degree in "air guitar").

Thanks and kind regards,

Steve
Simon.

I have been enjoying Alans column also, its slightly satisfying to know that what those of us close to the bottom of the ladder suspect is going on at the top very probably is ! Alan points out that for all the complexities of global business the problems can be obvious to those who wish to see them.

Martin
Thanks for the feedback guys, it's good to know someone is watching.

Regards,
Simon
My comment on Allan's latest article FWIW is I think most of us would be pretty happy working for a company that saw us as an asset and not a liability.

Simon
"People" can be regarded as an important investment in any organizations. From this point of view, an investment can well be an asset as much as a liability.

Therefore, I do not agree that people per se is your asset although its nice to be treated like one when indeed one had contributed to the company and should be recognzed and be rewarded as such.
I appreciate the feedback provided. As athought: if there are any particular subjects you might like to be featured in a future "Autoptic" column, please let Simon know. I will do my best to address them, if appropriate.
Interesting reading!

IMO, right people are company’s invaluable asset this would be true if the employee stayed with the company for long. Having the right people will increase the performance of the company in the market place. If the company takes care of its employees then the employees will take care of the customers and this improves the business, productivity and market share. IMO, a company should see its employees are assets and not as a liability as Simon mentioned. This creates responsibility, credibility, creativity etc…in an employee. Different opinions are inevitable.
IMO.. Company must decide people is subject not object... If company follow that statement.. they think all people do can effect to the business. so people involement to the business is important..

If the company decide the people are they asssets.. so the company can threat the people as like as another assets (car, machine etc) so they can sell or repair or anythink the company want to do as assets..

so i think the company mustnot decide the people as assets.. but the company must decide the people is subject for the business

thats my opinion...
If you treat employees as valuable assets they will become valuable assets; conversely if you treat employees as costly liabilities they will become so. It makes sound business sense to do the former. You reap what you so.
Hi Simon,

Allan Sayle’s articles are interesting and would like to read new articles if any.

I was wondering whether the statement “People are not assets”

especially during the recession period is becoming true.

Hi Simon,

Allan Sayle’s articles are interesting and would like to read new articles if any.

I was wondering whether the statement “People are not assets”

especially during the recession period is becoming true.

Allan's articles were always a great read and thought provoking; unfortunately I've not had any contact with Allan for a while so nothing new in the pipeline for now.

With regard to the recession there are many companies really struggling and need to cut costs. Mostly I believe this is done with a heavy heart and is an unpleasant medicine taken for the greater good of the company. However there will no doubt be companies who use the recession and the myriad of job losses as an excuse to jump on the bandwagon to get rid of people. In tough times, perhaps even the life or death of a business I suppose everything becomes and asset or liability and has to be weighed thus. We’d be kidding ourselves if we thought otherwise.

Regards,
Simon

Similar Discussion Topics
Will unannounced audits cause more people to leave the QA field? Are we allowed to sanitize white safety shoes with anti fungal spray and reuse for other people? What to do when people do not follow the personal hygiene regulations Are there any regulations stating how many people can have write access to documents? Would you say there is a general shortage of Technical/QA type of people to fill roles? FDA Offers Assurance About Food Safety and Supply for People and Animals During COVID-19 Looking for suggestions or an example of how people are handling 4.0 Context of the Organization Do people staple the test strips to their verification logs? How are people managing radiological hazards for BRC 8? Controlling cross contamination risks of people and equipment