What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Microwave cook validations

Started by , Apr 18 2017 11:33 AM
6 Replies

Hello,

Could anyone give me advice on the best way of carrying out a microwave cook validation?

Should I be basing it off one wattage or do it over 2 to 3 different wattages?

If i do it off 2 to 3 different wattages can I then declare the shortest cook time as long as the cook kill temperature is reached?

Thanks,

Natalie. 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Is a breakroom required to have sink, fridge and microwave? Ideal Microwave Bowl for Double magnetron Microwave oven Is there any problem with having a microwave in the shipping area for truck drivers? Microwave Sterilization of moringa leaf powder Chocolate melting with microwave and reheating when set
[Ad]

what is the product type and is this instruction for consumers or for food service?

I had a product that was a re-heat, it was pre-cooked. I looked at similar products in the frozen food section and found the most common wattage recommendation. We used that as our base and the temp we needed it reheated to for quality was higher than 165.

1 Thank

Hello quality elf,

IMO, you can based you cook validation on wattage alone. Core temp of the product must be measured as evidence.

regards,

redfox

1 Thank

Hello,

Could anyone give me advice on the best way of carrying out a microwave cook validation?

Should I be basing it off one wattage or do it over 2 to 3 different wattages?

If i do it off 2 to 3 different wattages can I then declare the shortest cook time as long as the cook kill temperature is reached?

Thanks,

Natalie. 

hi Natalie,

I have seen official methodologies published for this query. IIRC they were not exactly simple.

I suggest you check a little, eg FSA.

1 Thank

Hello,

The product is baby potatoes that will be sold raw and microwaved by consumer before consumption. 

I am currently testing in a 800w microwave and testing different cook times. For each cook time i am recording 5 results of core temperatures of the baby potato. I am just wanting to know if this is enough to prove due diligence by proving that an acceptable core temperature is reached.

Thanks,

Natalie. 

Hi Natalie,

From distant memory, you also need to profile the temperature variation within the unit so as to determine the slowest heating point. I think this was the cause of certain micro. problems with the original units.

Just remembered source of my recollections. pls see attached file -

GMA - guidelines consumer cooking instructions.pdf   1.1MB   30 downloads

PS - more suggestions are available if you google - "validation microwave ovens"

2 Thanks

Thank you very much Charles, appreciate the help.

Natalie. 

Similar Discussion Topics
Is a breakroom required to have sink, fridge and microwave? Ideal Microwave Bowl for Double magnetron Microwave oven Is there any problem with having a microwave in the shipping area for truck drivers? Microwave Sterilization of moringa leaf powder Chocolate melting with microwave and reheating when set Is microwave safe and effective for destroying weevils in flour? Microwave susceptor materials used in popcorn and panini? Using microwave to reheat chicken Frozen south indian curry (RTE) is dry when reheated in microwave Vitamin C,Citric Acid and Microwave effect