• 70 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India
  • Interests:Cooking, Gardening, Reading, Watching movies

Posted 10 November 2019 - 02:29 PM

Hello everybody,

In our bakery we are using melted chocolate for donuts dipping.

Normally we use chocolate melter for melting chocolate. Some times the staff uses microwave oven for melting (simply keeping inside the machine & melting it). 

1. Is it safe to melt the chocolate in microwave (simple microwaving).

2. Is it ok to reheat the chocolate once it became hard.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,665 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 11 November 2019 - 12:14 AM

Your SOP calls for melting it in a proper melter?

Why does the staff "sometimes" think it better to melt in a microwave.

My thoughts on microwaves as a former chef is not good - they should all be baseball batted and tossed in the garbage.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 3 Members:

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 November 2019 - 07:13 AM

Three things to consider.

• Microwaving chocolate is much less controlled, it's actually possible to burn it!
  • Chocolate is well known as being a risk for Salmonella.  Regular melting and reheating may mean it gets to great temperatures for bacterial growth without getting to lethal temperatures.
  • Melting chocolate without tempering it means the crystal structure changes and the resulting coated product will be dull.  If left, eventually it will "bloom" (have a whitish colouring.)

So if you do go ahead, you'd need to control all of the above in some way.

Thanked by 3 Members:

Sawad

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 70 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 13 November 2019 - 06:15 AM

Along with chocolate we are also using flavored coatings also for donut dipping.

The company representatives who came for demo preparation showed the similar way, thats why staff blindly following the method (melting inside the microwave). 

Instructed & recomended the usage of chocolate meltor for the prupose

SDTM

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 November 2019 - 12:29 PM

Hi 

Chocolate temperature needs to be very carefully monitored.

To avoid chocolate blooming but also the even coating of chocolate applied to the donuts (to ensure nutritional consistency too).

Reheating is not a good practice so wouldn't recommend, instead keep and monitor the constant temperature using water baths -Bain Marie with temperature dial control.

Hope this helps?

Thanked by 2 Members:

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 November 2019 - 05:08 PM

IAFP has a good review of salmonella controls in chocolatebut I'm unsure where that would be controlled, incoming or by lethality:  https://jfoodprotect...-028X-40.10.718

What we're missing to give you the best help for your business is to ask why is your staff sometimes using the microwave? Easier? Saving time on cleaning? Small quantities only?

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Sawad

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 70 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 14 November 2019 - 05:22 AM

IAFP has a good review of salmonella controls in chocolatebut I'm unsure where that would be controlled, incoming or by lethality:  https://jfoodprotect...-028X-40.10.718

What we're missing to give you the best help for your business is to ask why is your staff sometimes using the microwave? Easier? Saving time on cleaning? Small quantities only?

Why using microwave sometimes is easier & taking small quantity required to dip donut & easy to clean after that. No need to wait the meltor to turn on...

Raguram Tamilmani

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 25 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 26 November 2019 - 05:21 PM

Hi Sawad,

As per my experience within a small confectionery shop, the confectioners are practicing the same. Since they need small quantity of melted chocolate to decorate or coating. Since it is a small shop and the finished products are properly stored in chillers also it is moving very fast to customer(short shelf life). So I couldnot find any microbial, food poisoning issues.

Incase, If the production place have handle high risk foods (ie: raw meat, raw poultry, raw fish etc) the chances of cross contamination and risks are very high. So I prefer that reheating and melting chocolate inside a microwave not to be entertained and it should be monitored properly to avoid microbial growth.

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 November 2019 - 11:45 PM

Why using microwave sometimes is easier & taking small quantity required to dip donut & easy to clean after that. No need to wait the meltor to turn on...

Okay, so then figure out why you're using the melter and apply the same standards to microwaving and validate. Do you have minimum temps to reach? Heating and cooling times? If your microbial issues are controlled upstream it shouldn't matter. In  the water activity of chocolate is low enough that you don't need to worry about proliferation of organisms, so you can heat and cool as much and as slowly as you like, it's upstream contamination or contamination from added ingredients that would be the control from the FS perspective.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 27 November 2019 - 02:15 AM

Regarding OP, It might also be logical to acquire some actual microbiological data somewhere along the line. I guess this is currently not done at all ?.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Sawad

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 70 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 27 November 2019 - 05:20 AM

Hi Sawad,

As per my experience within a small confectionery shop, the confectioners are practicing the same. Since they need small quantity of melted chocolate to decorate or coating. Since it is a small shop and the finished products are properly stored in chillers also it is moving very fast to customer(short shelf life). So I couldnot find any microbial, food poisoning issues.

Incase, If the production place have handle high risk foods (ie: raw meat, raw poultry, raw fish etc) the chances of cross contamination and risks are very high. So I prefer that reheating and melting chocolate inside a microwave not to be entertained and it should be monitored properly to avoid microbial growth.

Our confectionery is well separated from other areas. Only confectionery pdts are handling. After dipping direct storage in the chiller display & using only for 2 or 3 days.

Sawad

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 70 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 27 November 2019 - 05:25 AM

Regarding OP, It might also be logical to acquire some actual microbiological data somewhere along the line. I guess this is currently not done at all ?.

We give for food test test to the external labs every month (items selecting randomly). Research articles regarding the chocolate are plenty available but on the chocolate coated foods are not common

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 27 November 2019 - 05:57 AM

We give for food test test to the external labs every month (items selecting randomly). Research articles regarding the chocolate are plenty available but on the chocolate coated foods are not common

Salmonella is the most obvious safety threat (ie post 3).

Sadly, the usual testing tends to only protect against gross contamination but is nonetheless, IMO, better than nothing.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users