What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

How to sanitize the carbon bed of the activated carbon filter?

Started by , Jun 15 2017 06:49 AM
7 Replies
Dear all,
We are about to commence a water bottling plant where we are using deep tube well as the water source. For the purification of water, a complete water treatment plantis used which consist of sand fiter, carbon filter, ultra filter and ozonization system. But the client who is going to purchase out product needs to know how to sanitize the carbon bed of the activated carbon filter. But I have no idea regarding that. Please help me to solve this problem.

And also our sourcevwater having excessive ferrous which have to be eliminated. Please explain how to do this.
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
How to clean and sanitize in a chocolate & confectionary facility? Concerns of adding a plastic hang hook on a tea and sugar filter bag Are we allowed to sanitize white safety shoes with anti fungal spray and reuse for other people? Water filter micron size HACCP plan for Water filter manufacuring
[Ad]

Dear all,
We are about to commence a water bottling plant where we are using deep tube well as the water source. For the purification of water, a complete water treatment plantis used which consist of sand fiter, carbon filter, ultra filter and ozonization system. But the client who is going to purchase out product needs to know how to sanitize the carbon bed of the activated carbon filter. But I have no idea regarding that. Please help me to solve this problem.

And also our sourcevwater having excessive ferrous which have to be eliminated. Please explain how to do this.

Hi Athula,

Not sure of the meaning of "sanitize" in this context. = "Cleaning" ?

Typical answers to above queries here -

http://www.hillwater...on-removal.aspx

http://www.appliedme...rol-valves.html

Hi Charles,
It's not cleaning. Cleaning can be done by backwash process. This is sanitizing in order to eradicate microbial growth.

Athula

Hi Charles,
It's not cleaning. Cleaning can be done by backwash process. This is sanitizing in order to eradicate microbial growth.

Athula

Yes, I know. I was querying if yr customer actually knows the difference ?

Carbon beds are big breeding grounds, so treatment at sunsequent steps are usually best.  To sanitize put live steam thru the bottom of the carbon tank.  Be sure to vent the top.  Or gather some data and change the carbon on a schedule, which should be done regardless.  

The vendor who sells you the sand for the sand filter should know what products remove iron.  I'm familar with green or black sand and diatomaceuos earth layers.

Carbon beds are big breeding grounds, so treatment at sunsequent steps are usually best.  To sanitize put live steam thru the bottom of the carbon tank.  Be sure to vent the top.  Or gather some data and change the carbon on a schedule, which should be done regardless.

Interesting. Never seen this done.

The vendor who sells you the sand for the sand filter should know what products remove iron.  I'm familar with green or black sand and diatomaceuos earth layers.

IMEX it's an ion-exchange resin.

Hi John,

Thks for the input.

I guess the filtration/microbiocidal aspects are CCPs for a water bottling situation. I personally don't recall major problems this filter but was for a very different application.

I imagine the ultra filter amd the ozonization are the primary sanitizing agents. Offhand, a sterile(?) carbon filter sounds rather problematic to me unless you're "steaming" it every day. 

When I was in bottled water our only CCP was the ozone level at that step. 

We only used the carbon beds for chlorine removal.  We pretty much expected some TPC micro out our carbon beds, and did the steam to remove chlorine buildup (regenerate the carbon) and to keep the micro biolfilms from getting out of hand.  It actually kills the micro for quite a while, and we were moving a pretty good volume of water through. 

Our iron removal worked by adsorption, not ion exchange.  Way cheaper and very effective.  Backwash daily.

Hi John,

Is there any other chemical treatment method to sanitize the carbon bed?

Athula

Similar Discussion Topics
How to clean and sanitize in a chocolate & confectionary facility? Concerns of adding a plastic hang hook on a tea and sugar filter bag Are we allowed to sanitize white safety shoes with anti fungal spray and reuse for other people? Water filter micron size HACCP plan for Water filter manufacuring New Products Sieve and Filter set up Validation of Filter (Bag-Type and/or Cartridge) Is a sterile terminal filter at the point of compressed air entry a CCP? Is it necessary to sanitize livers and hearts before packaging? Can UV Air Disinfection decrease Air Filter standards?