What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Is bio-security mainly for farms or for cattle slaughter plants also?

Started by , Sep 02 2017 11:07 AM
4 Replies

Hi

Please.... i need some clarity!

Is bio-security mainly for farms or for cattle slaughter plants aswell.

I have been asked by my MD to write a Bio Security procedure for the site but I have not done this before and I was under the impression it was more for farms.

Please help me!

Thanks

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Using cattle salt-non food grade on a food production line Food Security Policies and Procedures Food Safety and Quality Certification required for Farms? Pesticide Residues - A global food safety and Food Security challenge Pesticide Residues - A global food safety and Food Security challenge
[Ad]

Hey buddy, I think u need to provide more informations about the background or scope of ur organization.

Hi

am a cattle abattoir and cutting plant

Hi

Please.... i need some clarity!

Is bio-security mainly for farms or for cattle slaughter plants aswell.

I have been asked by my MD to write a Bio Security procedure for the site but I have not done this before and I was under the impression it was more for farms.

Please help me!

Thanks

Hi aps - maybe something like this -

USDA Food_Defense_Plan for Meat and Poultry Slaughter-Processing Plants.pdf   340.8KB   14 downloads

1 Thank

Biosecurity is not just for farms, although it is primarily used on farms to prevent the spread of disease onto the farm.  I could see a need for biosecurity in an animal processing operation to keep viruses and bacteria from entering the plant and infecting live animals.  This might just be policies that you already have in place, such as: coming to work in clean clothing and showered, changing into clean clothing when entering work, changing shoes when arriving at work, washing hands, wearing a hair net, beard net, everyone that works at the plant cannot own livestock or pet birds (they can be carriers without showing symptoms).  At our egg production farm we are very strict with our biosecurity practices and rely on every employee following all of them so we can protect our hens.  Having footbaths, hand sanitizers, providing clothing and boots, truck washing, carefully monitoring every visitor, monitoring the movement of every visitor down to the garbage truck entering on site will help prevent the spread of disease.  Food Defense is different than Biosecurity.  You should be able to find basic biosecurity information in your governments documents.  It may be for poultry but the basics are the same for every species.  You won't have to go as far as a farm would, but should be following some steps to keep the animals and people safe that you are working with.

Similar Discussion Topics
Using cattle salt-non food grade on a food production line Food Security Policies and Procedures Food Safety and Quality Certification required for Farms? Pesticide Residues - A global food safety and Food Security challenge Pesticide Residues - A global food safety and Food Security challenge Pesticide Residues - A global food safety and Food Security challenge Does any of you know what is the indoor air quality limit for food production plants? Site Security Risk Assessment Template Site Security Assessment based on Risk Assessment Does your Food Defense procedure include digital security?