• Quick Navigation
Photo

Food Safety and Quality Certification required for Farms?

Share this

Best Answer , 24 October 2023 - 04:33 PM

Good call getting the actual audit.  Farm audits are weird:  not all of them require non-conformities to be corrected, some rate things that I'd call major to be only a minor, etc.  It's always good to take a look at the full report if they'll let you.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

ptjong1983

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 23 October 2023 - 11:27 PM

Hi all,

I have a quick inquiry regarding required certification for approved suppliers. We have one supplier - a small "mom and pop" farm who supplies citrus fruit to us but they are not HACCP certified. However, they are certified organic - would this be sufficient for a HACCP audit approved supplier program?

Their product is very low risk to us because we add a very small amount of their product into ours and we produce high alcohol level beverages. (It does through a distilling process)

Thank you!

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,233 posts
  • 1293 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 24 October 2023 - 02:30 AM

Hi ptjong1983,

:welcome:

Welcome to the IFSQN forums.

For a small farm supplying small volumes of low risk fruit, I would accept the organic certification as that should include food safety aspects and would cover a major concern in produce regarding any residual chemicals including pesticides etc.

Ask if they are prepared to supply their audit report as well as their certificate.

Kind regards,

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:

ptjong1983

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 24 October 2023 - 03:11 AM

Hi Tony,

Thank you so much for your warm welcome and such a prompt reply!

We have a record of their certificate but I now will request their audit report!  ^_^

Thanks again and have a great one!

Cheers,

Patricia 

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 636 posts
  • 182 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 October 2023 - 04:33 PM   Best Answer

Good call getting the actual audit.  Farm audits are weird:  not all of them require non-conformities to be corrected, some rate things that I'd call major to be only a minor, etc.  It's always good to take a look at the full report if they'll let you.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users