What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Letters of Guarantee - Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC)

Started by , Sep 07 2017 08:35 PM
6 Replies
I am currently working on our Approved Suppliers Program and have requested Letters of Guarantee or Certificates of Compliance from several of our suppliers. I ran across one of our suppliers that could only provide me with a specification sheet for our aprons that come into food contact (Fish) He stated that they did not carry Letters of Guarantee or Certificates of Compliance because the FDA does not require them.

Does anyone know if this accurate information ??

Please advise.

Thank you in advanced.

Elle
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Temporary Marketing Authorization (TMA) Letters for distributors BE (Bio-Engineered) Statements or Letters How often do you update letters of guarantee from approved suppliers? Obtaining letters of guarantee Asset Letters of Conformance
[Ad]

FDA does not require letters of guarantee, but it is the convention to issue what is called a Letter guarantee saying that the manufacturing and plastic is safe for food contact. If they cannot give you something that says their product is safe then you need to find a different supplier. If they are producer they should have laboratory testing that says its safe for food.  That testing is not usually done very often but they should be able to provide with that as well.  

You should ask for certificate of compliance in accordance with applicable CFR clause (food contact materials) for their product, if they cannot give that better find a new manufacturer/ supplier

I think people are being too strict here. You mentioned the supplier provides your aprons that come into food contact. I extremely doubt that any clothing provider will be able to provide food contact info for clothing. They aren't in the food business nor are they regulated as such.

​Find out what the aprons are made of and assess the likelihood that they will actually transfer to your food. I wouldn't consider it an indirect additive, I would consider it a product contact surface just like a belt or stainless steel or other tool, so you need to evaluate the material and ensure it can be cleaned and does not pose a hazard if it comes into contact with food, the research is on you here.

You can require any documents you wish from your suppliers.  If they are unable to meet your request, find another supplier that will.  I have run into this same issue personally with food contact packaging.  The supplier was not willing to provide anything other than their GMP audit report so we found a different supplier.  

Aprons are not food, not direct food additives (colors, preservatives, etc.), and are not indirect food additives.  Does the FDA have requirements for aprons in a food environment?

Aprons are not food, not direct food additives (colors, preservatives, etc.), and are not indirect food additives.  Does the FDA have requirements for aprons in a food environment?

That they do not expose foods to "unsanitary conditions that would cause food to become injurious to health" XD

Similar Discussion Topics
Temporary Marketing Authorization (TMA) Letters for distributors BE (Bio-Engineered) Statements or Letters How often do you update letters of guarantee from approved suppliers? Obtaining letters of guarantee Asset Letters of Conformance