• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 27 August 2021 - 04:31 PM

Hi all,

Will a BE statement (or continuing non BE guarantee letter) from a copacker that is able to purchase their own ingredients enough?

For context, we are the brand owner, the copacker making our product use their own suppliers for each ingredient. These were chosen, vetted, and approved by them. So we have no real oversight on those documents. That being said, is a blanket statement from the copacker that the food they make for us is not subject to BE labeling enough?

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 27 August 2021 - 04:40 PM

If your copacker provides a BE statement that means they're responsible for information they provide and aware of the consequences. You may request their supplier's non-GMO information as a proof, it's a normal practice. We used to have a non-GMO certification, but dropped it when it became over-expensive (the annual audit cost us +$6000 CAD). However, I continue requesting non-GMO information from ingredient suppliers to remain a non-GMO facility.

WendyWu

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 27 August 2021 - 04:50 PM

If your copacker provides a BE statement that means they're responsible for information they provide and aware of the consequences. You may request their supplier's non-GMO information as a proof, it's a normal practice. We used to have a non-GMO certification, but dropped it when it became over-expensive (the annual audit cost us +$6000 CAD). However, I continue requesting non-GMO information from ingredient suppliers to remain a non-GMO facility.

I thought about digging that far and requesting it as proof as well.
Our scope of skus are huge (hundreds) and a blanket statement may be easier for the team to handle retrieving. Currently they use a checklist and I am wary that a simple "no" holds any water. An added statement makes it more robust is my thinking.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 29 August 2021 - 08:18 PM