What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Ideas for dye testing film.

Started by , Dec 21 2017 01:19 AM
6 Replies

Hello,

So I had a general question or I guess a request for ideas on possible dye we could use to test the film our product goes into.  Our current dye is not food safe so we do all our test inside our quality lab and away from any product.  Eventually we want to try and move stations onto the floor to do our test there.  We thought about using food safe coloring, but I'm not sure were we could get that in bulk.  Any tips or suggestions for dye testing would be greatly appreciated.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Ideas on training on the importance of completing pre-op each day before production begins? Ideas on how to clean in a warehouse freezer? Desperate for ideas to get employees on board with food safety culture Looking for Ideas or a Structured Approach to Implementing a QMS from Scratch Ideas to mark World Food Safety Day?
[Ad]

Hello,

So I had a general question or I guess a request for ideas on possible dye we could use to test the film our product goes into.  Our current dye is not food safe so we do all our test inside our quality lab and away from any product.  Eventually we want to try and move stations onto the floor to do our test there.  We thought about using food safe coloring, but I'm not sure were we could get that in bulk.  Any tips or suggestions for dye testing would be greatly appreciated.

What exactly are you testing for?

Our Film distributors do our testing for us and send results in every pallet and run we order.

We just want to make sure that the seams are sealed probably so we do a dye test to verify that.  If the dye goes from one side of the side through the seam to the other side its a fail and our operators have to make adjustments. 

We just want to make sure that the seams are sealed probably so we do a dye test to verify that.  If the dye goes from one side of the side through the seam to the other side its a fail and our operators have to make adjustments. 

Hello,

In our production plant of baked goods we operate multiple packing machines with heat sealers for our final product. We do not use dye to check our seals here. We have set parameters from our heat sealer that our Machine Techs follow to ensure proper seals.......

Why not just submerge the packages underwater, squeeze them, and check for bubbles? Put an acryllic basin on the line and submerge the package and see if the water leaks inside or air leaks out? In fully sealed packaging you would also pull vaccuum, but since that's a more expensive setup, this may be sufficient for your purpose.

Why not just submerge the packages underwater, squeeze them, and check for bubbles? Put an acryllic basin on the line and submerge the package and see if the water leaks inside or air leaks out? In fully sealed packaging you would also pull vaccuum, but since that's a more expensive setup, this may be sufficient for your purpose.

We do that with our pouches.  The product we do the dye test on are in rolls.  I'm not sure if we would get the same result putting rolls inside of a vacuum tank.

We do that with our pouches.  The product we do the dye test on are in rolls.  I'm not sure if we would get the same result putting rolls inside of a vacuum tank.

Perhaps a picture of the test your currently performing would help us look for a different procedure? Otherwise your suggested solution of food coloring should be sufficient, I see no reason you couldn't buy it in bulk, webstaurant store has it by the gallon.

Similar Discussion Topics
Ideas on training on the importance of completing pre-op each day before production begins? Ideas on how to clean in a warehouse freezer? Desperate for ideas to get employees on board with food safety culture Looking for Ideas or a Structured Approach to Implementing a QMS from Scratch Ideas to mark World Food Safety Day? SQF FSC2 2.4.2 Module 18 - GAP SOP Template or ideas for Indoor Agricultural Ideas for activities for a Food Safety Day Any Ideas on Tilapia Discoloration? Ideas for controlling Allergen Dust Looking for ideas for Food waste reduction