What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Type of swabs for milk allergen testing

Started by , Jan 29 2018 12:42 PM
9 Replies

Hi

What are the best cost effective method for validating milk allergen in bakery environment..? were milk is part of dough process..

Thanks

Nadim

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Type of migration test suitable to test on repeat used of HDPE Plastic for steaming How do you determine parameters and what type of testing needs to be completed by a lab for your finished product? What K type thermocouple has worked best for you? Additional Product (same recipe with original product but packed in different packaging type) Are fiberglass type panels allowed to be used as an insulation material in a cold room?
[Ad]

Nadim what are you trying to prove? whether your cleaning is adequate? Whether your products contain dairy? 

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy, Ideally both, but the product I believe I can only test in lab, but cleaning is something I am looking to do on site.

http://foodsafety.ne...-3-d-total-milk

Screens at 5ppm, auditors have loved these unless a customer specifically requires FARRP swabs.

1 Thank

The Neogen is ok, but in my experience the LFD from Elution Technologies is better.  They have better pricing and great technical support.

Some of the Elution Technologies kits have a lower level of detection than the Neogen kits.

We started with Neogen and switched over to Elution, it saved us 15% on the testing.

http://elutiontechno...s.com/products/

2 Thanks

Hi

What are the best cost effective method for validating milk allergen in bakery environment..? were milk is part of dough process..

Thanks

Nadim

Hi Nadim,

As per post 2 I am slightly confused. Do all yr finished products contain "dough" ?

If so, i don't quite see the product benefit of monitoring  the environment for milk allergen.

Hi Charles,

Finished product is naan bread, but not all naan bread contain milk.

thanks

Nadim

1 Thank

Hi there......

You have not said what your customers have asked for?...if you make "own brand" or apply a 'milk free' label on the pack it is best practice to complete a validation of the rapid swabbing of your equipment by using traditional swabs (laboratory analysed) at the same time you do the rapid swabs - in this way you can prove that the rapid swabs are effective for your application.  You will also need formal cleaning procedures & to have signed off training for those people who do the cleaning.

If you are considering apply a dairy free claim the attached BRC guidance notes may be useful for you.

Best of luck!

brc-free-from-guidance 5.3.7.pdf   352.4KB   21 downloads

1 Thank

if you make "own brand" or apply a 'milk free' label on the pack it is best practice to complete a validation of the rapid swabbing of your equipment by using traditional swabs (laboratory analysed) at the same time you do the rapid swabs - in this way you can prove that the rapid swabs are effective for your application.  

This is good advice and I would do this in any case irrespective of whether you are branded, own brand or make a claim.  The FIC still makes it an offence to contain an allergen not listed so you need due diligence to prove you've taken the correct approach.

Similar Discussion Topics
Type of migration test suitable to test on repeat used of HDPE Plastic for steaming How do you determine parameters and what type of testing needs to be completed by a lab for your finished product? What K type thermocouple has worked best for you? Additional Product (same recipe with original product but packed in different packaging type) Are fiberglass type panels allowed to be used as an insulation material in a cold room? What is the best type of auditing scope for a distribution center? Validation of Filter (Bag-Type and/or Cartridge) Do you perform a root cause analysis for any type of deviations and identify preventive actions? Certificates of Analysis for retail type ingredients Type of Gloves for handling Frozen Products