What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

SQF 2.4.4.8 / 2.4.4.9 - Approved Supplier Program

Started by , Jun 12 2018 01:55 PM
7 Replies

We recently had our initial SQF certification audit. We received a minor N/C for 2.4.4.9 because we have not conducted any supplier audits. I am just wondering if 2.4.4.8 supersedes 2.4.4.9 because my interpretation of that is that we are allowed to base our approved suppliers off prior performance. 

I have done the supplier audits in the past but because we changed facility addresses, everything from the previous address is no longer applicable here, at least according to the auditors. 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Allergen checklist to supplier Skip Lot Program For Raw Materials Developing a Workplace Safety Program Zosi’s Environmental Monitoring Program (EMP) and risk assessment templates Developing an Environment / ATP Swab Program
[Ad]

What criteria did you use to measure the performance of your suppliers?

2.4.4.8 Is performance assessment; rating and score, etc

2.4.4.9 is supplier auditing for risk

We recently had our initial SQF certification audit. We received a minor N/C for 2.4.4.9 because we have not conducted any supplier audits. I am just wondering if 2.4.4.8 supersedes 2.4.4.9 because my interpretation of that is that we are allowed to base our approved suppliers off prior performance. 

I have done the supplier audits in the past but because we changed facility addresses, everything from the previous address is no longer applicable here, at least according to the auditors. 

When a company changes an address the program pretty much gets revamped and the facility is required to contact the CB to get details on next steps prior to having your next audit.  I have seen companies change addresses, white out documents and attempt to shoe horn the programs that applied to the past facility to the new facility - too sad actually.

As to the two code sets - they are not equal - your 2.4.4.8 would be applicable to past performance and other things while 2.4.4.9 calls for audits.

Hello,

I don't believe that 2.4.4.9 is requiring audits. 

The clause states that, "Supplier audits shall be based on risk and shall be conducted by individuals knowledgeable of applicable regulatory and food safety requirements and trained in auditing techniques."  

I believe "based on risk"  is the important part.  If you have all low risk suppliers, you may not need to conduct them.  

Of course, this is always open to interpretation by the auditor.

I am only using 3rd party certified companies for all my raw materials.........voila they have been audited based on risk by audit methods trained individuals. (risky raw materials) and am completely in compliance with the approved supplier provisions

If my raw materials were all coming from Canada or USA I would assess risk myself and wouldn't require 3rd party certification to supply us

I hope, however, that you are arguing the NC on this one?

Code 2.4.4.8  The approved supplier program shall be based on the prior performance of a supplier and the risk level of the raw materials ingredients, packaging materials, and services supplied, and shall contain as a minimum

IMO the SQF8 Guidance text for the above does not comply with the Code's text. (in the Guidance. ("and" has been interpreted as "or" [twice]).

I speculate that the auditor regarded "something" (="risk" in 2.4.4.9) within the 7 sub-requirements of 2.4.4.8 as indicating that supplier audits should have been carried out. If so, IMO, this causative discrepancy should have been specified by the auditor.

We recently had our initial SQF certification audit. We received a minor N/C for 2.4.4.9 because we have not conducted any supplier audits. I am just wondering if 2.4.4.8 supersedes 2.4.4.9 because my interpretation of that is that we are allowed to base our approved suppliers off prior performance. 

hello, can you please share with me if you have Vendor Management Program, or Suppliers Accreditation Program? I only have checklist with me but no procedures or programs yet. thank you

geneillexxxxxx

Similar Discussion Topics
Allergen checklist to supplier Skip Lot Program For Raw Materials Developing a Workplace Safety Program Zosi’s Environmental Monitoring Program (EMP) and risk assessment templates Developing an Environment / ATP Swab Program BRCGS 3.7.2 - Does a supplier have to have a HARA/HACCP to be an approved supplier through a questionnaire? Passing through Food Safety Documents from our supplier to our customer Approved Supplier Program - Spot Purchasing Organic Food Fraud program What supplier documentation is required when using Aluminium Foil as Primary Packaging?