What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Storing Ready to Eat Items next to Not Ready to Eat Items

Started by , Aug 29 2018 07:50 PM
3 Replies

Hello everyone,

Does any of you have any good support documentation stating there is no potential of cross-contamination when Ready to Eat Items (e.g. vegetables) are stored next to Not Ready to Eat Items (e.g. raw meat) when they are correctly packaged? Thinking something from FDA or USDA or any scientific document. For me, this is just criteria, but one auditor observed this situation. For my corrective actions, I have to do a risk assessment, and I would like to include any good support documentation. 

Thanks!

Silvialima

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Plexiglass for storing glove boxes Is receiving raw materials and storing them a PRP or OPRP? How to comply with the standard of not storing product directly on the floor? Drying and storing clean utensils and parts in utility sinks Storing food under fly killers
[Ad]

I doubt that you will find any documentation. Aside from USDA guidelines for people in their own home.

www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/safe-food-handling/be-smart-keep-foods-apart/ct_index

www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/general-food-safety-tips/safe-food-storage.html

It's just good practice not to in a commercial setting................but if you can't avoid it make sure raw meat is stored on the bottom shelves

If they are in the freezer, you may be able to find documentation. Like Scampi said, in the US it will say place meat, etc below all fruits and vegetables if necessary. 

Hello everyone,

Does any of you have any good support documentation stating there is no potential of cross-contamination when Ready to Eat Items (e.g. vegetables) are stored next to Not Ready to Eat Items (e.g. raw meat) when they are correctly packaged? Thinking something from FDA or USDA or any scientific document. For me, this is just criteria, but one auditor observed this situation. For my corrective actions, I have to do a risk assessment, and I would like to include any good support documentation. 

Thanks!

Silvialima

Insufficient context.

It depends on what you mean by "correctly packaged"  and stored how/where ?

For example, IMEX for  frozen seafood, product packed/sealed in bags/boxes within outer master cartons clearly poses negligible risk of cross-contamination. So no restrictions IMEX. It's not exactly Rocket Science.

Where there are allergen considerations I anticipate the story may (rightly or wrongly) change again.

Similar Discussion Topics
Plexiglass for storing glove boxes Is receiving raw materials and storing them a PRP or OPRP? How to comply with the standard of not storing product directly on the floor? Drying and storing clean utensils and parts in utility sinks Storing food under fly killers Sheets of plastic - storing in cardboard Storing Packaging in Product Boxes Storing filled beer kegs outside Temperature references for processing, manufacturing and storing in a cheese and meat factory Food Safety Concerns Storing CBD (Cannabidiol) in (Food and Beverages)