Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 152 posts
  • 19 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 January 2024 - 09:29 PM

Hi, I have a question about boxes for storing gloves that are in product-contact areas and areas where product-contact surfaces are exposed. 

We want to use plexiglass for storing them because the fabrication should be straightforward.  However, we are concerned about the potential for breaking, as plexiglass tends to break at times.  Stainless-steel fabrication for boxes for gloves would likely be quite expensive, our Production Manager says.  Glove boxes, once opened, need to be in covered containers, per SQF and 21 CFR Part 111 in the United States.  What is the best route for this dilemma? 

We have SQF and NSF GMP certifications and are under Part 111 and Part 117.  

Thank you,

Matthew

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 636 posts
  • 182 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 January 2024 - 09:57 PM

That's a hot take from the production manager...  Ask him for the specific language, because I'm not aware of it.

I'd absolutely concede that there's a requirement to keep the gloves clean and free from contamination, so unless you're transmitting dust or water spray onto the walls where gloves are kept, there's no actual risk to them sitting in the box openly.  (And if you do have dust/spray issues, those need to be root caused and evaluated for remedies because of 1,000 other concerns I'd have...)

Last one of my plants that I was in kept gloves on a wall in wire racking meant to hold the boxes of various sizes.  I like the wire racking because it can be easily cleaned when they wash down the walls.  Using an enclosed box of plexi or stainless would create places for microorganisms to hide between sanitations.  If you do come up with a plexiglass solution, plexiglass isn't a shatterable plastic and is low risk for a production environment.  It'll need to be inspected and replaced when cracked, but plexi doesn't shatter into the shards that require registration on a glass and brittle plastic register.

Thanked by 1 Member:

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 856 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 January 2024 - 09:57 PM

I usually see the items below or some variation.  The plexiglass ones do break from time to time.   

Attached Files

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 530 posts
  • 102 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 January 2024 - 10:06 PM

We opted to fabricate stainless versions of the boxed glove dispensers (like the left image from kingstudruler1, mostly horizontal orientation) .  The plastic ones would get broken and replaced, over the long term stainless are less expensive and require less special/delicate maintenance.

matthewcc

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 152 posts
  • 19 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 January 2024 - 10:16 PM

I usually see the items below or some variation.  The plexiglass ones do break from time to time.   

Thanks!  The Hubert one isn't covering the gloves, so it would not be compliant for our operations.  I've seen ones like that in doctor's offices, so it might be good enough for them (odd to think that though, considering someone with an infectious illness like COVID could easily cough and contaminate them).

The Bowman one is about the minimum standard for us, but I would prefer that we switch to stainless-steel.

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,414 posts
  • 1000 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 11 January 2024 - 10:26 PM

Stainless steel is obviously the better choice.

You could use Lexan, which is sort of like Plexiglass, but much more resistant to cracking/shattering.

Marshall

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,676 posts
  • 1143 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 11 January 2024 - 10:28 PM

Flu does not transmit via cough. Must be injected.

The cardboard dispenser box is a cover and not once have we had an issue with an auditor. 

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 856 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 January 2024 - 05:34 PM

Thanks!  The Hubert one isn't covering the gloves, so it would not be compliant for our operations.  I've seen ones like that in doctor's offices, so it might be good enough for them (odd to think that though, considering someone with an infectious illness like COVID could easily cough and contaminate them).

The Bowman one is about the minimum standard for us, but I would prefer that we switch to stainless-steel.

Disposable exam type gloves are not sterile.  They really should be sanitized after being put on.  There are articles suggesting they can contain pathogens right out of the box.   I think the spirit of the clause is that the gloves are protected from chemical spray, allergen dust, etc.   Like Glenn stated, its not something that is usually scrutinized.   So many times no cover added at all or other forms of limited protection "slides".     What you really don't want is an old damaged, abused , visibly dirty box of crusty gloves laying around.   

Twofishfs@gmail.com

matthewcc

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 152 posts
  • 19 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 January 2024 - 11:12 PM

Disposable exam type gloves are not sterile.  They really should be sanitized after being put on.  There are articles suggesting they can contain pathogens right out of the box.   I think the spirit of the clause is that the gloves are protected from chemical spray, allergen dust, etc.   Like Glenn stated, its not something that is usually scrutinized.   So many times no cover added at all or other forms of limited protection "slides".     What you really don't want is an old damaged, abused , visibly dirty box of crusty gloves laying around.   

We don't use exam-type gloves.  We have a powder-free glove that "Complies with FDA 21 CFR 170-199 for use with food."

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 856 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 January 2024 - 01:23 PM

We don't use exam-type gloves.  We have a powder-free glove that "Complies with FDA 21 CFR 170-199 for use with food."

If they are not individually packaged and market sterile, they are not sterile.  (packaged in a box).   I don't buy into what the guy in the attached article is selling, but he / they  did the work to show the possible risks.   

https://www.foodsafe...-safety-gloves/

Edited by kingstudruler1, 15 January 2024 - 01:24 PM.

Twofishfs@gmail.com

matthewcc

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 152 posts
  • 19 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 January 2024 - 02:57 PM

If they are not individually packaged and market sterile, they are not sterile.  (packaged in a box).   I don't buy into what the guy in the attached article is selling, but he / they  did the work to show the possible risks.   

https://www.foodsafe...-safety-gloves/

Other than Eagle Protect, who sells their own line of gloves, is anyone independently confirming this by testing?

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 530 posts
  • 102 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 January 2024 - 10:22 PM

Other than Eagle Protect, who sells their own line of gloves, is anyone independently confirming this by testing?

They're typically packaged in non-airtight cardboard boxes, my expectations aren't terribly high.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users