What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Roasted nut - effect of moisture on micro growth

Started by , Sep 14 2018 06:07 AM
3 Replies

Could anyone know what is the possible influence of higher level of moisture nut on micro growth?

F.E. 

In our specification, we have the limit for nut moisture - up to 1.4% and we now realized that we have 1.7%, do you think it is a big difference and could influence of the nuts micro results? Is the risk related to the higher level of moisture high?

I really appreciate your point of view :)

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Packaging considerations for roasted and salted macadamia Best way to salt roasted cashew kernel HACCP for Roasted Coffee from Raw Material Receipt to Distribution Potential issues with repacking Roasted Red Peppers Is there any definitive proof that a 4 log reduction is not adequate for air roasted seeds or beans?
[Ad]

Hello,

Well, it is true that moisture can affect the growth of microorganisms and in this case mostly the growth of mold. But I think that the difference between 1,4% and 1,7% is not that big, to can affect the product. Do you know the water activity of the product? cause the moisture level is not very precise to see if the product will mold.

I would agree, your concern will be spoilage organisms (yeast and mold specifically)

Some molds will form mycotoxins which can be fatal or aflatoxins

mycotoxin (from the Greek μύκης mykes, "fungus" and τοξικόν toxikon, "poison") is a toxic secondary metabolite produced by organisms of the fungus kingdom and is capable of causing disease and death in both humans and other animals

http://vicam.com/whi...is-in-tree-nuts

Also, do you roast them yourself? Are you sure time/temp parameters were met during roasting?

Dear lvqa,

I don't think that the value in your spec is directed to microbial growth but on  general stability/shelf life of roasted nuts.

I don't see any increase microbial risk in this small difference. If you want to do something for documentation you can measure water activity of two samples in and ou spec.

Rgds

moskito

Similar Discussion Topics
Packaging considerations for roasted and salted macadamia Best way to salt roasted cashew kernel HACCP for Roasted Coffee from Raw Material Receipt to Distribution Potential issues with repacking Roasted Red Peppers Is there any definitive proof that a 4 log reduction is not adequate for air roasted seeds or beans? FFA Levels for Oil Roasted Nuts How to describe the process of HACCP step by step when making a roasted chicken? What certifications are required to export roasted coffee into the United States? Raw materials evaluation roasted garlic puree CA Prop. 65 Acrylamide in Roasted Sesame Seeds