What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

What is the correct Hand Swabbing Technique?

Started by , Dec 18 2018 04:24 PM
3 Replies

Hi All, 

Im currently writing a procedure for my sampling technicians for how they collect hand swabs. All other factories i have worked in have swabbed: both hands palm and back, between fingers, and around nails. However these ladies have only ever done palms and between 2 fingers in the past. 

Would you recommend my method or theirs? I thought that the method im suggesting just captures commonly missed areas etc. 

Look forward to hearing your responses. 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
BRC Metal Detection - Correct Placing of Test Pieces Risk assessment to determine frequency of ATP swabbing Environmental Swabbing Matrix Swabbing zone 1,2,3 at the same time OPRP Hand Washing Procedure
[Ad]

Hi Dee

I have worked in factories that have done both.

I guess it depends on the products  being handled and the risk, because I have been people sniff & apply the back of their hand to their nose, so I know it does happen!. 

Ultimately you're assessing staff's compliance to hand washing protocol so I would say it is safer to swab all areas to determine compliance to the hand wash & hygiene protocols.

Certainly if the product is RTE or high risk it's a sensible precaution & also, the more rigorous the swabbing is, the more likely staff are to adhere to hand washing/hygiene protocols.

Anything that avoids the use of the "magic gloves" is a good thing (you know the gloves I mean, they can be worn for hours, only need to be changed daily,  allow you to touch waste on the floor & then touch food because "I'm wearing gloves" so the product is safe!).

Hi Dee!
Leslet.Roberta is right wearing gloves is safe.

Hi DeeMac,

An additional conundrum is how to formulate the micro. limits

Can try this thread -

https://www.ifsqn.co...ces/#entry98364

PS - another technique is to place palm onto an agar plate or equivalent.

Similar Discussion Topics
BRC Metal Detection - Correct Placing of Test Pieces Risk assessment to determine frequency of ATP swabbing Environmental Swabbing Matrix Swabbing zone 1,2,3 at the same time OPRP Hand Washing Procedure Hand Wash Water Temperatures Non-conformance SQF audit for not carrying out environmental swabbing What is the correct order of sieve, magnet and metal detector? Is there anything wrong with doing environmental swabbing after a weekend? GMP Hand Swabs