What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Drain Testing SOP

Started by , Feb 14 2019 03:57 PM
10 Replies

Hello,

I have been tasked with creating a Drain Testing SOP for my site. Background: we are a dietary supplement distributor (do finished product packing), there are two drains that are not critical (one in a supply closet the other outside an office door that leads to the warehouse). I have the cleaning procedure semi-completed (add 1/4 c of bleach + 12 1/4 c of water to pout down each drain). What I need help with is testing parameters that should be met is I focus on listeria, e.coli and salmonella. Frequency of testing I'm pushing for is 2x year.  

Any help would be most appreciated!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Floor is not sloped to the drain getting constant overflow Drain Sanitation Recommendations Drain catch baskets Drain foaming during production Drain and Toilet Back-up Policy or Procedure
[Ad]

Also we do not have a micro lab onsite, so any testing would have to go to a 3rd party.

Hello,

I have been tasked with creating a Drain Testing SOP for my site. Background: we are a dietary supplement distributor (do finished product packing), there are two drains that are not critical (one in a supply closet the other outside an office door that leads to the warehouse). I have the cleaning procedure semi-completed (add 1/4 c of bleach + 12 1/4 c of water to pout down each drain). What I need help with is testing parameters that should be met is I focus on listeria, e.coli and salmonella. Frequency of testing I'm pushing for is 2x year.  

Any help would be most appreciated!

The logical target for all 3 would be undetectable.

The frequency should initially be elevated.

1 Thank

The parameter would be zero.

I would suggest going with a monthly or every other month plan of testing on thr front end and then as you do not have hits cutting back. Your proposed lag time between testing is excessive.

1 Thank

Do you have any recommendations for testing applications. I understand that there are test kits you can purchase, use (swab) and send out for testing.

Contact a lab that you would like to use. They will provide you with the test kits and then you submit the testers back to them for,analysis.
1 Thank

The parameter would be zero.

I would suggest going with a monthly or every other month plan of testing on thr front end and then as you do not have hits cutting back. Your proposed lag time between testing is excessive.

Microbiological Criteria abhor "zero".

@ hgardner - Depending on the specific Procedure, the project (assuming null results) may ultimately prove nothing due sampling/analytical limitations.

Excuse me Charles - undetectable might be a better term.

Excuse me Charles - undetectable might be a better term.

In practice, the usual is "not detected" in XYZ. (strictly the methodology, hopefully "Standard",  should be included).

Sampling/Analytical always rules.

I would ask the laboratory you are using to send you their directions for sampling drain water, and then use them to create your SOP.

I would ask the laboratory you are using to send you their directions for sampling drain water, and then use them to create your SOP.

Good idea.

One should also ask to include an estimation of the detection sensitivity of the recommended method.

The perpetual problem with swabbing/analysing  plant objects for pathogens is that they are likely to be "missed". This is the reason for using "indicators" but unfortunately the latter cannot be used as confirmation.

It's a dilemma.

Similar Discussion Topics
Floor is not sloped to the drain getting constant overflow Drain Sanitation Recommendations Drain catch baskets Drain foaming during production Drain and Toilet Back-up Policy or Procedure Are there any standards for Drain Vents in a food factory? Feedback on a Drain Cleaning SSOP Backed up drain, is our freshly packaged product safe for consumption? Drain Cleaning Protocol Drain Back Procedure anyone heard of this?