• 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 June 2023 - 07:17 PM

Hello fellows, 

There is a drain issue in the new place where i work as a food safety manager, 

I am implementing SQF in a food and vegetables processing facility, 

Whoever built the cutting room placed the drain in the center of the area, where the highest gradient is, 

This means that all the overflow goes to the sides, building standing water outside the room, offices and hallway,

Upper management doesn't have the resources to rebuild the cutting room and stop production for several days to fix this issue is not possible, 

We have our SQF audit in January and our temporary solution has been mopping out the water every 4 hours, 3 times in the day, 

Will we get a non-conformance in our audit because of this? What can we do to not get one? Will be helpful a risk assessment in this case? 

Thank you so much for your insight, 

Sincerely,

Maria 

Draw

Read aloud

of 108

Brothbro

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 363 posts
  • 115 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Aimlessly browsing the internet

Posted 16 June 2023 - 10:08 PM

Well, it's good to have a documented program in place showing that you're removing the water at set intervals. Have you done any environmental sampling in this area to determine what the hazards are? This could give you some evidence that your system is working.

However, depending on the auditor, even with some evidence you could be looking at a non-conformance. Such poor drain placement that results in water even pooling into neighboring hallways would raise eyebrows during the question "Is the facility constructed in a way that promotes sanitation?" Good environmental records or no, it's just not good facility design to have drains placed on the high ground.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,676 posts
  • 1143 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 17 June 2023 - 05:50 PM

"We have our SQF audit in January and our temporary solution has been mopping out the water every 4 hours, 3 times in the day, "

You really don't want the rabbit hole to open up if an Auditor sees this - as an Auditor regardless of a risk assessment with constant mopping being done this will become a MAJOR issue and not the route you want on your first certification audit.

I even thought that it might be possible to show a signed contract with payment for repairs - however you have 7 months before your on site - that is enough time to do a redo on floor/draining system.

Your company just needs to understand what the cost will be to their bottom line if they fail their first SQF Audit.

That alone should get them off their arses and git er done!

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,233 posts
  • 1293 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 18 June 2023 - 06:09 AM

Hi Maria,

:welcome:

Welcome to the IFSQN forums.

It is a major design fault and would put a real downer on your certification audit. I would be pressing to get this fixed prior to the audit. There is plenty of time.

Also, I am not keen on mops being used in food processing areas. Unless managed well they can be a source of contamination.

Kind regards,

Tony

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 20 June 2023 - 12:27 PM

You need to at the very least:

a) Switch to squeegees not mops

b) get a quote from different companies for the repairs

c) develop a timeline for completion of repairs (perhaps it can be done in sections)

d) maybe force the original company to pay for repairs (unless of course someone signed off on this huge mistake)

Management needs to also understand this water will destroy the building over time so if they don't recognize the food safety risks, they can at least wrap their heads around the building crumbling around them

You likely will not pass your audit in this state

• G M likes this

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Sayed M Naim Khalid

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 105 posts
  • 30 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 June 2023 - 12:52 PM

Standing water is both a safety and food safety issue. 

Potential solutions:

1. immediate action: clean it as regularly as possible. If the auditor shows up, ask your sanitation/operation team to clean it just before the auditor walks around the facility. This way you can prevent being dinged for this issue. 

2. Long term: fix the issue through replacing the drain location on the floor or improve the slope so water drains easily. 

3. Long term: you can also study your process if you can curb water usage in this specific location or step of operation. 

My question is, why did the Food/housing authorities approved this operation? because if there is an issue with GMP (preventive controls), it has to be addressed before issuing you a permit for operation.  

FSQA Professional

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 530 posts
  • 102 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 June 2023 - 07:19 PM

...why did the Food/housing authorities approved this operation? ... it has to be addressed before issuing you a permit for operation.  

There are lots of legal jurisdictions with few building codes or no permitting process.

Our production facilities are in "small towns" where the number of employees is as much as 6x greater than the number of residents.

lynzy05

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 21 June 2023 - 04:12 AM

I have dealt with these types of issues as well. As SQFconsultant said, they need to understand how important this is. Sometimes if they wont budge, just let it go and let the auditor find it. You can always use the auditor as an ally and they will twist your company's arms to do the rebuilding. 

The other dodgy way to pass the issue during an audit is to clean up the area like squeaky clean then not use it until after the plant walk is finished. I also found a company where they basically placed a man there cleaning the area all day during the audit. it made it look clean and looks like there was no issue in the area.

"We have our SQF audit in January and our temporary solution has been mopping out the water every 4 hours, 3 times in the day, "

You really don't want the rabbit hole to open up if an Auditor sees this - as an Auditor regardless of a risk assessment with constant mopping being done this will become a MAJOR issue and not the route you want on your first certification audit.

I even thought that it might be possible to show a signed contract with payment for repairs - however you have 7 months before your on site - that is enough time to do a redo on floor/draining system.

Your company just needs to understand what the cost will be to their bottom line if they fail their first SQF Audit.

That alone should get them off their arses and git er done!

Scotty_SQF

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 377 posts
  • 90 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors

Posted 21 June 2023 - 05:46 PM

I agree with others, you will not do well on the audit if this is how this room is during the audit.  It has to be repaired properly.  The bigger concern than not passing the SQF audit in my mind is how this is a prime environment for microorganisms.  Hoping you have a robust environmental monitoring program in place for this room.

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sqf, building materials, module 11, GMP, drain, overflow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users