What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Microwave Sterilization of moringa leaf powder

Started by , Jul 13 2019 05:19 PM
11 Replies

We hope to use microwave  sterilization for reduce microbiological count of organic moringa leaf powder. Is this method allowed in European, BNN & US organic standards?

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Is a breakroom required to have sink, fridge and microwave? Ideal Microwave Bowl for Double magnetron Microwave oven Is there any problem with having a microwave in the shipping area for truck drivers? Chocolate melting with microwave and reheating when set Is microwave safe and effective for destroying weevils in flour?
[Ad]
I have a friend that grows, harvests and powders moringa - organically and exports to US... microwave is not acceptable.
1 Like1 Thank

Thank you very much! 

Perhaps irradiation would be an option? Microwave does not do that job.

No dear,

Irradiation is not allowed in organic process. Anyway it will be okay for conventional ones. 

Can it be steamed as a form of sterilization?

https://temaprocess....r-herbs-spices/

How dirty is the product before sterilization?  I ask because steam reduces the bacterial load in dried products maybe 2 logs less than EtO or irradiation. 

1 Like

Can it be steamed as a form of sterilization?

https://temaprocess....r-herbs-spices/

Sure it can be steam sterilized, but the problem we have is the amount of microbiology reduced by the steam is not enough.

How dirty is the product before sterilization?  I ask because steam reduces the bacterial load in dried products maybe 2 logs less than EtO or irradiation.

Exactly. That is the reason we can not use steam because our products Aerobic plate count is very high (10^8)

From my reading that I did this morning, and given you're high count, you need to implement better on farm practices to reduce the microbial load PRIOR to harvesting. Then everything the leaves touches must be STERILE

I wish you the best of luck, it would appear this little power house has alot going for it, but comes with some large hurdles to manage

1 Like

From my reading that I did this morning, and given you're high count, you need to implement better on farm practices to reduce the microbial load PRIOR to harvesting. Then everything the leaves touches must be STERILE

I wish you the best of luck, it would appear this little power house has alot going for it, but comes with some large hurdles to manage

Exact as you have mentioned, that is the process we currently moving in to. 

Thanks!!! 

Hi

Steam sterilization is the most reliable solution for your requirement.

1 Like

Similar Discussion Topics
Is a breakroom required to have sink, fridge and microwave? Ideal Microwave Bowl for Double magnetron Microwave oven Is there any problem with having a microwave in the shipping area for truck drivers? Chocolate melting with microwave and reheating when set Is microwave safe and effective for destroying weevils in flour? Microwave cook validations Microwave susceptor materials used in popcorn and panini? Using microwave to reheat chicken Frozen south indian curry (RTE) is dry when reheated in microwave Vitamin C,Citric Acid and Microwave effect