What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Best type of plastic suitable for food safe storage containers?

Started by , Aug 13 2019 03:06 PM
1 Reply

I have been doing some research on what is considered food safe containers.  I had an inspector question our containers that we are using to store our spices in.  From the research I have done I think what I am using is ok.  Here is what I found.......

As a general rule, the numbers that are safe for use with food are 1, 2, 4, and 5.
  • The best type of plastic for use in long-term food storage is high-density polyethylene (HDPE), which is indicated by the "2" symbol. ...
  • Other types of plastic acceptable for food storageinclude PETE, LDPE, and polypropylene (PP).

So, if my container has the PP and 5 on the bottom it should be safe right?  

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Repackaging of Food Grade product 9.7.1 Food Safety Intervention food safety Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? As A Food Safety Consultant - Do You Develop Food Safety Systems Alone ?
[Ad]

I would look for a statement from the container manufacturer saying they are food grade. This would satisfy the FDA.

To be completely FDA compliant, the component end user must also be certain that

• The material is used within the recommended safe temperature range
  • The material is safe for the type of food that it is in contact with (fat percentage, acidity, moisture content and so on)
  • The material will physically hold up to the environment it will be used in, including cleaning and sanitizing

https://www.accessda...rt=177&showFR=1

1 Like1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
Repackaging of Food Grade product 9.7.1 Food Safety Intervention food safety Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? As A Food Safety Consultant - Do You Develop Food Safety Systems Alone ? Warehouse storage practice for Non-GMO Project Food safety culture plan fssc22000 v6 Standard Microbial Count for Equipment /Utensils in Food Industry (MEAT PRODUCTION AND VEGETABLES) Food Safety Videos- Recommendations? Food safety culture plan