What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Supermarket Food Safety for cooking on site

Started by , Aug 14 2019 01:52 PM
10 Replies

Hello, 

Can someone help out on what is the standard companies follow on cooking on site, i.e take tesco, sainsbury, morrisons for example where they prepare and sell hot chicken over the counter. Do they follow like BRC retailer guide lines or something else? Any kind of documents someone may have for a retail cooking, cooling, reheating could you please share. Thanks in advance !! 

Thanks & Regards

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Celery as an allergen in an online supermarket FDA Registration number for supermarket distribution center Supermarket audit Sesame Oil in supermarket products Does anyone supply Coles Supermarket housebrand products?
[Ad]

I used to inspect chain food retail operations  (such as Target, ShopRite, Sam's Club's, Trader Joes, etc) in the states - each follows their own set guidelines and food safety regulations.  

Hello, 

Can someone help out on what is the standard companies follow on cooking on site, i.e take tesco, sainsbury, morrisons for example where they prepare and sell hot chicken over the counter. Do they follow like BRC retailer guide lines or something else? Any kind of documents someone may have for a retail cooking, cooling, reheating could you please share. Thanks in advance !! 

Thanks & Regards

Hi salakidums,

May I ask if there is a specific reason for yr query ?

I used to inspect chain food retail operations  (such as Target, ShopRite, Sam's Club's, Trader Joes, etc) in the states - each follows their own set guidelines and food safety regulations.  

Pretty sure it's the same in the UK - even for suppliers of own-label finished products, BRC et al are really just entry level requirements and each retailer defines their own standards in many areas.
Most of them are also confidential and only accessible to their direct suppliers, so I wouldn't be overly hopeful at being able to obtain a copy of their internal store procedures unless you are actually working with/for them, in which case you'd need to ask them ;)

Hi Charles, 

I am starting in a retail and catering operations soon. Wondering how the format is used and what they do to get better understanding. 

Thanks

Durai

Hi Salakidum

Retailers don't work to BRC within their stores as BRC is a manufacturing requirement.

I used to work for a UK retailer within the deli sector & they have a team of people who work (in conjunction with the head office food safety team) to set the SOPs for cooking/storing food in store.  As the cooking & preparation equipment is rarely standard across all stores the specific SOPs they use will relate to each store/oven.

These are bespoke documents, that are confidential & proprietary, most retailers would be reluctant to share these.  

However if you validate your cooking process using calibrated temperature probes and work to food safety guidelines you would be on the right track.

1 Like2 Thanks

Hi Charles, 

I am starting in a retail and catering operations soon. Wondering how the format is used and what they do to get better understanding. 

Thanks

Durai

Thks response.

I had a look on the internet and maybe the previous post is accurate. 

I could not find any guidelines to what is clearly a highly safety-sensitive operation.

In the US, these supermarket kitchens are basically considered restaurants and regulated by the local and state authorities as such.

Hi Salakidum87

The following links may be useful for you for legal guidelines for cooking temperatures and cooling requirements

https://assets.publi...es_Amnd_012.pdf

http://www.legislati.../1995/2200/made

https://app.croneri....dstuffs/indepth

https://www.safefood...oking-meat.aspx

1 Like1 Thank
[quote name="salakidum87" post="146992" timestamp="1565857030"]Hi Charles, 

Thanks

[quote name="salakidum87" post="146992" timestamp="1565857030"]Hi Charles, 

Thanks

Looks like it may require a discussion with yr local EHO.

Similar Discussion Topics
Celery as an allergen in an online supermarket FDA Registration number for supermarket distribution center Supermarket audit Sesame Oil in supermarket products Does anyone supply Coles Supermarket housebrand products? Supermarket bakery workers risk developing asthma