Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,841 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 01 February 2005 - 01:03 PM

Supermarket bakery workers are at considerable risk of developing work-related asthma according to researchers from Imperial College and the Royal Brompton Hospital. Their study, reported in the latest edition of the European Respiratory Journal, found that up to nine percent of bakers, four percent of bakery managers and three percent of bakery assistants may have symptoms of asthma caused by working in supermarket bakeries.

Read Full News Item:
Supermarket bakery workers risk developing asthma

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Rob C

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Kids, Music, West Brom, Work - In that Order !!!

Posted 15 February 2005 - 01:29 PM

Hi Simon

Interseting reading this, I would be interested to know if there have been any studies into the processing of bakery packaging in stores.

Has anyone tested the amount and effects of fumes given off when store staff seal PP Films instore ??

I have recieved several concerns regarding this issue.

Is there any evidence of this ???

:uhm:

Rob C

"[you should always try to walk a mile in someone elses shoes..........that way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes !...who doesn't like free shoes ... ?]"

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,841 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 15 February 2005 - 10:25 PM

Hi Rob, I don't know of any research on this. To be honest I wouldn't have thought it was a major problem, after all when you seal the film you are simply melting the layer of heat seal lacquer on the underside of the PP film and hopefully not the film itself. I think that's right. :dunno:

When you say you have received several concerns regarding this issue can you be a bit more specific.

Regards,
Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Rob C

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Kids, Music, West Brom, Work - In that Order !!!

Posted 17 February 2005 - 09:33 AM

Hi Simon,
we have one "claim" ongoing, (no win - no fee) from a Store Assistant who has been working on the Bakery section for many years, she is claiming thet the "fumes" produced from sealing the BOPP and PP films has brought on chest problems

The supermarket chain were obviously concerned and conducted internal investigations across many of their stores, it seems that there is a perception that this has always been the case, a small amount of fumes are created, usually dealt with by extraction ?

Thats all I have at the moment, apart from the data sheets for the films, we have sent some of the film off for testing and are awaiting results !

I fear this won't go away , especially in the claim culture we all live in and am dreading the worst !! :(

"[you should always try to walk a mile in someone elses shoes..........that way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes !...who doesn't like free shoes ... ?]"

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,841 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 February 2005 - 10:50 AM

The world is definitely going mad! I don't expect this processing of the material would have been covered by the scope of your HACCP plan? Quite rightly this would be more concerned with the safety of the material for direct food contact.

However, it does raise an interesting question - is it our responsibility or indeed possible to consider all of the ways our customers and customers customers etc. use our products?

Good luck Rob. I hope common sense prevails.

Regards,
Simon

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users