What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Mustard Allergen ppm limit

Started by , Oct 16 2019 01:54 PM
2 Replies

Hi Everyone, 

I have looked all over for allowable limits or the maximum allowable threshold for mustard allergen but have had no luck. I saw a few forums on here back from ~2014 and there was no clear consensus. 

We have products containing mustard seed at our facility and products without mustard. We do not have "may contain mustard" on the label and hence need to clean thoroughly, schedule products to limit contamination, and test for mustard allergen presence between batches. We are small and therefore use a lateral flow test as opposed to an ELISA (so much room for error with micropipetting).  

Neogen and Hygiena have similar tests however they are sensitive to 5 ppm and 2 ppm respectively. Moving forward, I wanted to ensure we are being as proactive as possible but if the allowable limit for mustard seed is closer to 10 ppm like sulphites, than both will adequately meet that requirement. 

Any and all information surrounding limits of mustard protein concentrations is appreciated!! Does not have to be Canadian!

Thanks in advance :)

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
EU Code of Practice for Mustard Sauce Organic cleaner-destroy mustard allergen Allergen Removal Validation Mustard What allergen category is Rapseed oil? is it mustard? Allergen Tolerable Limits for Dairy, Mustard and Soy?
[Ad]

Limit appears to be low - take a look at:

https://www.fsis.usd...pdf?MOD=AJPERES

1 Thank

Probably has been updated but this was the situation in 2011 which you are welcome to (laboriously) read through -

http://gazette.gc.ca...dors28-eng.html

I noted mustard was a "priority"  allergen.

I also noted that Health Canada has some kind of caveat associated with cross-contamination which I daresay may be related to the typical "may contain" scenario.

I anticipate the "basic" limit will be analogous to EU (see comment in above link), ie "not detectable".

PS - afaik threshold limits do exist such as in VIDAL allergen system but I am not aware of this system being used in Canada.

1 Like

Similar Discussion Topics
EU Code of Practice for Mustard Sauce Organic cleaner-destroy mustard allergen Allergen Removal Validation Mustard What allergen category is Rapseed oil? is it mustard? Allergen Tolerable Limits for Dairy, Mustard and Soy? Mustard CCP controls Today I ate some ‘out of date’ Coleman’s English Mustard