What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Light Meter Recommendation?

Started by , Jun 16 2020 08:31 PM
8 Replies
Anyone out there have a recommendation on a handheld light meter that they find particularly good for testing food plant illumination levels? Waterproof/resistant would be a bonus but not a have to have.

Thanks!
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Glass light bulb change policy How were you able to satisfy module 11, Lighting and light fittings 11.1.3 Change of light trap and tin cat glue boards Light Meter Calibration Using UV Light for Factory Site to Kill Microbes
[Ad]

I have absolutely no experience using a light meter (sorry, lol) BUT it appears Omega makes some different models, and I have used a few different intruments made by Omega and have not had any complaints. There are also a few included in the Grainger catalog I would trust.

There are a lot of them though, what range of light intensity would you be looking for?

1 Like

In there is a link to a page with actual products.  I can't say I have any experience with those, but they look like they're on the cheaper side.  Ones in McMaster-Carr seem to run $100-300 and can be over $300 if you need a calibration certificate.

I've been wondering about this sort of thing too recently--however, more along the lines of what the standards are in the United States under FDA rules.  Not that anyone asked, but FDA's Food Code seems to have standards here under 6-303.11 Intensity:  https://www.ifsqn.co...=+light +meter 

This one is more pertinent to Canadian standards:  https://www.ifsqn.co...l=+light +meter

Matthew
1 Like
Fluke 941 Light Meter Illuminance Meter Tester  --

I used a Fluke Light Meter in my hotel inspection days  - this one is good and I think it is waterproof.

1 Like

Not to be cliche' but there's an app for that

1 Like

We have the shimana brand 4in1 environmental meter. Measures lux, RH, Temp, noise.

1 Like

Thanks all! Now it's time for me to go shopping! I'll let you know what we settled on.

I loaded a free app on my phone in 30 seconds that measures foot-candle or lux using the back facing camera. It records Min, Max and Average lux or fc which can easily be translated to lumens if you want although fc is the lighting industry standard.  Use your average fc reading X 10.764 = Lumens. Works great and no shopping. No calibration records either! :) :cheezy:

No calibration records either!

That's the problem  :shades:

Similar Discussion Topics
Glass light bulb change policy How were you able to satisfy module 11, Lighting and light fittings 11.1.3 Change of light trap and tin cat glue boards Light Meter Calibration Using UV Light for Factory Site to Kill Microbes Cause of light brown grainy layer at bottom of yogurt? SQF 12.2.4 - Lighting and Light Fittings (shatter proof fittings and covers), does this apply to our operation? In light of Covid-19 is anyone making face masks mandatory in their facilities? Can this be optional? Is using UV light to kill Covid-19 effective? UV Light of EFK - when to change bulbs?