Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 August 2021 - 01:35 AM

Does anyone have a glass light bulb procedure or is it part of your glass brittle plastic procedures? TYIA

Venkateshkini

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 26 August 2021 - 06:00 AM

It shall be part of glass and brittle plastic procedure. If glass light bulb management (eg: Maintenance department) and Glass monitoring record (eg: QC) then it may require two different documents (not for audit or standard but for ease of management in organisation)

Sheilag

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 August 2021 - 05:58 PM

I just added the statement to my glass and brittle plastic policy

1. To minimize the potential for product contamination cleaning of glass or plastics will be conducted during non production time. 
  2. Changing/replacing bulbs will be done during non production times. 

Edited by Sheilag, 26 August 2021 - 05:59 PM.

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 683 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 September 2021 - 05:20 PM

It is part of our procedure, just states the responsibility for replacing lamps goes to the Maintenance department to control how and when lamps are replaced and ensure shields are installed at the same time. We have started our second round of light conversion. First we went from T12 fluorescent to T8 and are now converting all T8 fixtures to plastic LED lamps. they are 110v direct so there's no longer a need for ballasts or extra wiring plus they last 10X longer and don't yellow!

SHQuality

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 317 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 25 January 2023 - 10:59 AM

With companies that I've worked at or otherwise dealt with, lightbulbs were part of the overall glass and brittle plastic procedure.

Have it listed on the glass inventory checklist.

I don't see much use in creating an entirely separate procedure for it.

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,596 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 25 January 2023 - 02:38 PM

With companies that I've worked at or otherwise dealt with, lightbulbs were part of the overall glass and brittle plastic procedure.
Have it listed on the glass inventory checklist.

I don't see much use in creating an entirely separate procedure for it.

I have been asked specifically for this in SQF audits. It followed a conversation where the auditor asked 'what happens in case of glass breakage?' Because if it can happen, it will.

-Setanta         

SHQuality

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 317 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 25 January 2023 - 02:45 PM

"What happens in case of glass breakage?" is an entirely reasonably question from the auditor.

Doesn't your glass and brittle plastic procedure cover what happens in case a glass bulb breaks?

What was the auditor's reasoning for requesting a separate procedure?

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,596 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 25 January 2023 - 03:32 PM

"What happens in case of glass breakage?" is an entirely reasonably question from the auditor.
Doesn't your glass and brittle plastic procedure cover what happens in case a glass bulb breaks?

What was the auditor's reasoning for requesting a separate procedure?

To ensure that everyone would know how to handle that situation, including the off shifts and sanitation. Otherwise, he would have wanted s training log. The procedure is part of a glass breakage kit, dedicated specifically to that use.

Edited by Setanta, 25 January 2023 - 03:33 PM.

-Setanta         

SHQuality

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 317 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 25 January 2023 - 03:47 PM

To ensure that everyone would know how to handle that situation, including the off shifts and sanitation. Otherwise, he would have wanted s training log. The procedure is part of a glass breakage kit, dedicated specifically to that use.

I can see where the auditor is coming from. Anyone in the production and storage areas of a factory needs to know what to do in the case of glass breaking (or a product spill for that matter). I would personally choose to do the training instead of setting up a separate process to keep everything as concise as possible, but you could technically create a separate process for light bulbs that is available to another group of people, if necessary.

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Glass, Light bulbs, procedure, light bulb handling, light bulb change

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users