What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Can we use T-shirts worn from home instead of uniforms?

Started by , Jun 25 2020 01:35 PM
6 Replies

Would it be possible to stop using uniforms and allow employees to wear t-shirts from home?  I realize we would need to make sure t-shirts have no buttons and have no writing that could "rub off" into product.  I also realize there could be an issue with cleanliness of the shirt.  The reason is our bakery gets extremely warm during the summer.  Our owner may want to use "t-shirts" year round.

Thanks!

Mark

1 Like
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Can I do protein powder packaging and bagging business at home? Cheese company uniforms Laundry at Home! How to quantitatively determine when a beard net must be worn? Can Hi-Vis Safety vests be worn in bathrooms?
[Ad]

Yes, you can use pocket-less t-shirts if they have the same conditions as wearing uniforms.  You must provide employees written laundering instructions [document the date/materials trained], conduct random hygiene checks [documented in your internal audit program], and give employees restrictions on what they can/cannot do in their clothing that wear wear to work [like animal tending, gardening/farming, car repairs, etc.].  It's a much cheaper option that still could meet the intent of the Standard.  Don't forget to provide a risk assessment supporting your decision to wear t-shirts instead of uniforms.

Why dont you make T-shirts part of the uniform and get the employees t-shirts with the company logo on them?

With bringing clothes from home, you have to make sure their clothes are clean and also if they get soiled at work, you need to be able to have them change into something clean so they arent walking around with soiled clothes. Also, if you have a 3rd party currently doing laundry, they wont be cleaning the street clothes and that could be a problem.

So far, the company I work for has danced around the issue of having our laundry done by a 3rd party, we issue out company t-shirts and pants to our employees and they are responsible for keeping them clean. They can get a replacement if they show their old shirt is worn or messed up by bleach etc. We have a washer/dryer available for employees to use, but no one uses it. They all take their shirts home and wash them.

We have been told by SQF auditors that if we are not having our laundry done by a 3rd party, we need to have a laundry program. What the laundry program would entail, I am not 100% sure but I would imagine it would have to allow cleaning on site (washer/dryer available to employees) and also show that the cleaning method (the type of laundry soap you buy vs the typical dirtiness of the clothes when washing) is effective.

Since you were providing uniforms already. Just buy the t shirts too and have your employees change into them (as they would have with the uniform) on-site.

That gives you total control on material, quality, specs and the company launders them as well.

There are bunches of issues that we have seen with asking employees to launder their own.

Our staff wears their own clothing to work, but we also provide disposable aprons when working in processing rooms. We are a co-packer and work with low risk RTE snack foods. So it may also depend on your processes and risk. This has never been an issue for us and we are SQF certified. We have it written in our GMP policy which employees are trained on that clothing must be in good condition/clean, no buttons/zippers/pockets/etc. We also completed a clothing risk assessment. 

Our staff wears their own clothing to work, but we also provide disposable aprons when working in processing rooms. We are a co-packer and work with low risk RTE snack foods. So it may also depend on your processes and risk. This has never been an issue for us and we are SQF certified. We have it written in our GMP policy which employees are trained on that clothing must be in good condition/clean, no buttons/zippers/pockets/etc. We also completed a clothing risk assessment. 

Hi AC,

****(red) - It can depend on one's definition of "low risk" but, offhand, I think many sources would regard this as a (3-way) oxymoron.

@ Food Police - A cleaning program requires Verification. Typically Includes micro. swabbing.

1 Thank

You can as long as your laundering policy is properly implemented and employees understand it. Proper checking prior to commencement of work is important. 

Similar Discussion Topics
Can I do protein powder packaging and bagging business at home? Cheese company uniforms Laundry at Home! How to quantitatively determine when a beard net must be worn? Can Hi-Vis Safety vests be worn in bathrooms? Can we launder Cleaning Rags at home? Could foods home cooked with oil be stored in the fridge for more than four days? Controls for bonnets and durags worn in production Ship to Home - Verification and Validation Requirements for setting up a Pickled Vegetables Home Business