What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Do scales specifically designated for shipping need to be checked daily?

Started by , Aug 31 2021 04:34 PM
4 Replies

A quick question: Do scales specifically designated for shipping need to be checked daily? We calibrate all our scales quarterly by an outside calibration service (including the shipping scales) and run daily checks on all the scales used in production. Our company has been doing it this way for a number of years and the auditor has never mentioned it. Just want to see if we maybe have gotten very lucky here or if this is acceptable given production scales are checked every day prior to work starting. Thank you. 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Allowable Preservative Levels in Foreign Countries (specifically South Korea) Requirements for shipping organic product that is sealed and only distributed by a certified distributor? Shipping unpackaged baked goods Calculating percent (%) DV (daily value) for protein? Using shipping containers as modular rooms in food manufacturing
[Ad]

You're good, as long as  those scales are not used for trade (i.e. sale by weight) then quarterly is plenty

if you are using them for trade, then perhaps add them/it to a weekly verification (not calibration)

1 Thank

You're good, as long as  those scales are not used for trade (i.e. sale by weight) then quarterly is plenty

if you are using them for trade, then perhaps add them/it to a weekly verification (not calibration)

I've always been confused on what "for trade" means. If they're shipping it, they're most likely selling it, and scales measure weight. Isn't the most likely explanation that this involves "sale by weight"? I know I'm missing something. Help me out Scamps!

I've always been confused on what "for trade" means. If they're shipping it, they're most likely selling it, and scales measure weight. Isn't the most likely explanation that this involves "sale by weight"? I know I'm missing something. Help me out Scamps!

John,

If the weight registered by the shipping scale is used for billing purposes then in most states it is required to be sealed by local weights and measures dept. This is what is meant by most parlance "for trade" "not for trade" or "condemned" (you have seen such seals on gas pumps). Check with your local municipality. 

As far as verification frequency, the burden is really on you. As far as I know, there is no frequency established in the US, with the exception of falling under the category of "process control instruments" then you would verify calibration at least once daily prior to operations, unless the device manufacturer can provide assurances that a lesser frequency is needed.

Agree with Slab

For use in trade means the measuring device is used to create the bill of sale-----------it's a consumer protection issue-------so we all get what we pay for

If your using the scale for inhouse purposes only (verifying weights at receipt, weighing out batches) then your frequency can be whatever the company is comfortable

Similar Discussion Topics
Allowable Preservative Levels in Foreign Countries (specifically South Korea) Requirements for shipping organic product that is sealed and only distributed by a certified distributor? Shipping unpackaged baked goods Calculating percent (%) DV (daily value) for protein? Using shipping containers as modular rooms in food manufacturing Shipping of salted casings and water retention regulation Designated person for SQF Do I need to add Touch Screen Pens to the daily metal checks? Monitoring Shipping Temperatures Shipping lot traceability accuracy