What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

What happens if cheddar cheese in block stays at 60 degrees for about 2 days?

Started by , Sep 08 2021 07:01 PM
10 Replies

Hi everyone,

In that case, can cooking step kill the pathogens in cheese (320-430 degrees for about 15 min.)? 

Thank you in advance. 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Cheese company uniforms To melt, or not to melt the cheese! Declaration once opened use by (X-Days or X-Hours) After Opening a Food Packaging Metal Detection for Mac and Cheese Cartons Containing Foil Pouches Cheese annalouge declaration
[Ad]

What kind of packaging was it stored in? Is this a pasteurized "cheese product" or natural cheese? 

It is sealed in flexible poly and packed in corrugated and it is pasteurized cheese 

Hi everyone,

In that case, can cooking step kill the pathogens in cheese (320-430 degrees for about 15 min.)? 

Thank you in advance. 

I would have thought 430degC will satisfactorily incinerate everything, including the plastic..

3 Likes1 Thank

Well, you can't really "cook" cheese

You could perhaps add it back into new product as rework in smaller quantities since it's not really cheese and going back into a pasteurized cheese product, but the better route is to bin it all and find out how this happened in the first place

3 Likes

I agree with Scampi, I can't see how you could use any of it and document that it was safe.

1 Like

The cheese is perfectly acceptable to be used in a cooking application.  This is often referred to as "tempering" cheese.  When making pasteurized process cheese, natural cheeses (cheddar, monterey jack, swiss, etc.) are tempered (brought to room temperature) for 48-72 hours so it is easier to cut into manageable pieces and melts easier during the cooking process.

1 Like

do you know your water activity and pH? Those are pretty important to evaluate what might be a risk for micro growth at this time and temp. 

430 huh? 

I would imagine the ash left would be edible.

You toss that block away and make a checklist so it doesn't happen again.
1 Like

Degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit?

Similar Discussion Topics
Cheese company uniforms To melt, or not to melt the cheese! Declaration once opened use by (X-Days or X-Hours) After Opening a Food Packaging Metal Detection for Mac and Cheese Cartons Containing Foil Pouches Cheese annalouge declaration Does anyone have any experience of spoilage in soft cheese? Cheese firmness testing Measuring pH of cheese curds when making cheese Heating cheese to get a spice rub to stick Could foods home cooked with oil be stored in the fridge for more than four days?